Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.1 Starts Off With Presentation Improvements, Inclusive Config Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Every OOXML document I've tried to open has rendered perfectly well...
    Well, I suppose that your personal experience absolutely proves it: the quoted article is absolute bollocks, and someone who writes for a living AND uses LibreOffice--and, furthermore, who states repeatedly in almost every LO article he writes, that he wants very much for LO to succeed--doesn't know what in the Hell he's talking about.
    Isn't the facebook mentality and brain-worm wonderful, fanboys and girls?

Did you even READ the entire article? Or is it more important to tell us about your personal experience?

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Well, I suppose that your personal experience absolutely proves it: the quoted article is absolute bollocks, and someone who writes for a living AND uses LibreOffice--and, furthermore, who states repeatedly in almost every LO article he writes, that he wants very much for LO to succeed--doesn't know what in the Hell he's talking about.

Did you even READ the entire article? Or is it more important to tell us about your personal experience?
      That's unfortunately the sad truth. I've tried to convert many people over to LO multiple times in our company, and even though people find it very usable in general, whenever it comes to exchanging documents with other companies using MS Office, it almost always comes to formatting and graphical issues due to imperfect document conversion. You can guess the result...

I love LO and use it myself (non-professionally). But to make it really spread faster and wider (or at all in specific industries), it really needs to focus on sorting out the interoperability bugs. Right now the conversions work for simple things, but that's just not good enough in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

You completely missed my point. I was saying that perception varies widely depending on what you're doing with it, and it's important to report bugs because, often, the developers aren't exercising the code paths you are.

That's why, back in the GNOME 2.x era, GNOME users were convinced KDE was a buggy piece of garbage and GNOME was stable, while KDE users were convinced GNOME was a buggy piece of garbage and KDE was stable.

They were self-selecting for whichever DE didn't bug out under their preferred usage pattern, because their usage pattern matched what the devs were testing.

My anecdote (admittedly, written when I was overdue for bed) was just intended to demonstrate how oblivious it's possible for someone to be if they get lucky about what kinds of documents they're opening.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          (Let's say... YEINR:RYBotDWK. "Your Experience Is Not Representative. Report Your Bugs or the Devs Won't Know.")
          I reported 3 bugs to LO about interoperability with Microsoft Office. In each bug I attached a sample document and screenshots of LO vs Microsoft Office.

All 3 bugs were IGNORED, with a trivial exception for one of it which changed its title.

LO sucks and has no developers. All commits are done by Collabora and CIB. It is not clear to whom the 1bn in revenues of the TDF goes to.

LO is misleading: in their website they sponsor compatibility with Microsoft Office, while in reality that compatibility is at very best in pre-alpha stage and experimental. More than text and 1 or 2 images, and LO Writer will break out the layout of your document. Their website misleads people into believing that the LO project is good and healthy state.

In the meantime they focus on fair-language for options.

I suggest LO "managers" (they have no developers, as we have said) that cares so much about politically correct to look at these suggestions and fight for them. They are of the utmost importance for LO users.

Comment

Working...
          X