Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.1 Starts Off With Presentation Improvements, Inclusive Config Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Quite the contrary: the more rational of us envy you, because you have NOT fallen into this insanity trap which you're reading about here, and which has started taking over our (the U.S., and a lot of other supposedly touchy-feely cultures) society.
    That's not true at all. We *have* fallen into the insanity trap. Statues are getting removed, there are discussions to rename certain streets because of history, history books in schools have had some parts rewritten to remove a couple of negative stuff... Just to name a couple of things. I can tell you more if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's not true at all. We *have* fallen into the insanity trap. Statues are getting removed, there are discussions to rename certain streets because of history, history books in schools have had some parts rewritten to remove a couple of negative stuff... Just to name a couple of things. I can tell you more if you want.

I am--and I sincerely mean this--sorry to hear this. One can only hope that your society is not so inertia-filled as ours, and that 'clearer heads' will prevail sooner rather than later.

"...you must really hate us Dutchies...". The only thing I would like you to tell me ("...more..."), if you feel it would not be an invasion of your privacy, is the particular 'Dutchy' country involved.

Thank you for the 'heads-up'; I'm glad the letter to my grandchildren is still in 'draft' form, and undergoing revision.

Warmest regards...

Comment

I am--and I sincerely mean this--sorry to hear this. One can only hope that your society is not so inertia-filled as ours, and that 'clearer heads' will prevail sooner rather than later.
        Yeah, let's hope so.

"...you must really hate us Dutchies...". The only thing I would like you to tell me ("...more..."), if you feel it would not be an invasion of your privacy, is the particular 'Dutchy' country involved.
        The Netherlands.

Warmest regards to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

A complaint by whom? Who are you or me to tell an open source contributor what they should be doing? Contributors trying to make the world a better place, as they see it, is basically why we have a lot of open source software. Shock, horror, some people smart enough to build LibreOffice want to make the world a better place in other ways. It's their call.
          In my case I'm a yearly donor to LO, so I care that LO invest in changes that are of benefit to me, LO and the LO user community.

The people making these PC changes are trying to dodge a perceived bullet that doesn't exist.

They are making those changes because of some very noisy tweeter society rejects, who pretend to find outrageous offence on behalf of others, people who do not use LO at all, pale imitations of a thinking being who are trying to judge the past with the eyes of the present.

Complete nonsense, we live in clown world.
          Last edited by JPFSanders; 18 August 2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            The Netherlands.

Warmest regards to you too.
            danmcgrew You can expect the same insanity trap working just as well in the country south to The Netherlands, of which 2/3 of the population also speaks Dutch. Changing street names, tags on statues, or just plain destruction, the whole shebang. Political correctness is at an all-time high around these parts. The same thing happens in France as well from what I read.
            In general, European leftists can't even take jokes anymore or inconsistencies in their ideas. It's all first degree, taking everything seriously. And if you're joking, then you must be racist (to be interchanged with any sensitive topic). There's no critical mind to be expected from these people. A website like The Onion wouldn't work here. People wouldn't (want to) get the satire and it would degenerate real fast.
            Everything is so touchy-feely that it's hard to sail in between the rocks.

Comment

Libreoffice is incredible, but I need more macro functions implemented in Calc. I'm still forced to use Microsoft office for a vendor spreadsheet that calculates prices/generates quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                And is this you?
                As someone who is backlogged on accepting PRs to his own open-source projects, yes it is. I see it as very disrespectful to the maintainers to push patches with such questionable Return on Investment on them like this.

Likewise, as someone with a hobbyist interest in linguistics and etymology, I see it as stupid and harmful to the health of the language to hack bits off what is considered acceptable speech to enforce that only one specific meaning of a core element of the language (the name of a colour) is valid and to needlessly make it inherently racist rather than recognizing that meaning is contextual, just like idiots who want "women" changed to "womyn" because they don't understand the etymology of "man".

Comment

Vistaus -cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid74946" style="background-image: url("https://www.phoronix.com/forums/core/images/default/default_avatar_thumb.png");">Vistaus Mez';n1201383]
                  danmcgrew You can expect the same insanity trap working just as well in the country south to The Netherlands, of which 2/3 of the population also speaks Dutch. Changing street names, tags on statues, or just plain destruction, the whole shebang. Political correctness is at an all-time high around these parts. The same thing happens in France as well from what I read.
                  In general, European leftists can't even take jokes anymore or inconsistencies in their ideas. It's all first degree, taking everything seriously. And if you're joking, then you must be racist (to be interchanged with any sensitive topic). There's no critical mind to be expected from these people. A website like The Onion wouldn't work here. People wouldn't (want to) get the satire and it would degenerate real fast.
                  Everything is so touchy-feely that it's hard to sail in between the rocks.[/QUOTE]

...and @Vistaus--

Thank you both for your comments and observations.

Is the entire world going insane?

Comment

"...Over the last few years, I've done a fair share of Libreoffice reviews, focusing on different usability angles. First, there's the program itself and what it does, then whether it's suitable for everyday office use in the Office-heavy reality, and largely because of the previous point, the million-dollar question of when and if and how LibreOffice could actually become a viable, realistic substitute for (Microsoft) Office. My findings from the past dozen summers say no..."

..."Microsoft Office compatibility
                    "Another big one. It's not about good and evil, not about right or wrong, not about ideology, morality, anything of that sort. Pure and simple pragmatism. Your non-techie colleague or boss or client sends you a file they created in Microsoft Office. You need to send them data back. Can you afford mistakes?
                    As always, I grabbed a bunch of DOTX, DOCX templates from Microsoft and opened them in LibreOffice. Just like in version 6.3, there were problems. Most documents rendered badly - text overflow, positioning, etc. One of the files wouldn't open - it threw an error, and if you ignore the error and go forward, you get a useless conversion. Utterly wrong...."

"And the thing is, this is the very thing that blocks LibreOffice from gaining wider adoption...or we can try to give people high-fidelity tools that can replace their Microsoft Office. Because today, LibreOffice cannot..."

“... Finally, LibreOffice simply isn't as productive as it could be. I'm saying this as someone with 1,000,000+ words written every year, a good deal of them in Writer...”

"...And the worst thing is, there seems to be no strategy out of this loop. Another version with tiny changes? That hasn't shifted the needle so far. I truly hope LibreOffice does kick off a commercial model. We need something fresh and fun - in a meaningful way. In its current guise, it's pretty much like biannual Linux distro releases, more of the same, with no real added value or growth. And it's not about the users actually - people will happily use free products and whatever. It's about the LibreOffice developers, who will eventually give up, when they realize there's no end in sight

LibreOffice 7.0 - Words are very unnecessary
                    Updated: August 19, 2020 | Category: Office

Dedoimedo is a website dedicated to technology and software education, science, art, and (dark) humor. Its mission: to provide most detailed and accurate guides and articles you will find on the Web, on a wide range of topics, including operating systems, application reviews, security, and more

Comment

Every OOXML document I've tried to open has rendered perfectly well, so I'm going to call on whatever the acronym was in that Planet Mozilla blog post from a few years.

(Let's say... YEINR:RYBotDWK. "Your Experience Is Not Representative. Report Your Bugs or the Devs Won't Know.")

Comment

Working...
                      X