GNOME 3.38 Beta Released Ahead Of Official Release Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Well, what's wrong with having a confirmation dialog?
    Problem is, they already had a confirmation dialog. Previously one could click the system menu, then click the Power button, then select cancel, restart, or power off from the pop up dialog. Now one must click the system menu, click to expand the power/logout sub-menu, then choose logout, suspend or power off from that menu, then confirm in the old power dialog to cancel, restart, or power off.

The change stupidly adds an unnecessary click that also resizes the system menu when activated, and still hides restart in a pop-up dialog. I maybe shutdown once or twice a day at most, and ctrl-alt-del is faster anyway, but I found the change quite annoying.

Comment

Well, what's wrong with having a confirmation dialog? I would not like to accidentally shut down my computer, then spent 15 minutes bringing up all local development software, in case that the wireless mouse stutters and I click shutdown button.

Under normal circumstances, a regular user uses shutdown once a day. I don't use shutdown often, maybe once a week or two, as suspend preserves my local development environment, which takes 15 minutes to start...
      See nranger reply (not the one quoted below). It's not about confirmation dialogs, but about a suddenly added extra step to perform the same action.
      When you are suspending up to 5-10 times a day like I do, such a change can be quite irritating.

This is of course not a vital issue, I wouldn't even discuss it if other erring ways weren't piling up.

Originally posted by nranger View Post
      That bothered me too. Thankfully another was equally annoyed enough to create the "simpler off menu" extension.
      Will have to look it up. This could be a candidate for a 19th possible correction to Gnome's limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Anyway, this release doesn't seem to bring much to the table, except maybe some performance improvements mentioned earlier (but not in this article). Plus, nobody cares about Epiphany, Maps or Boxes. They should get rid of these barely used apps to focus on actually improving their lacklustre DE.
        I appreciate having them there, using Maps and Boxes every day.

Personally I find the whole Gnome eco-system a great place, gsettings etc.

Looking forward to Gnome on a phone / tablet.

Comment

Well. There's always some exceptional alternative, which gets picked up and is preferable option for large percentage of users.

However, nowadays with always on internet connection, YouTube is the most preferable music player for many users. No downloading (buying) required, no music files management and backup required, no extra application required, .. just launch it immediately. It gets a bit worse, when don't have an internet access, no music..

The point is, some of alternatives might become serious and commonly used projects. Not every code out there is a toy project.
          Never. Anything not Made in Gnome is going to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Never. Anything not Made in Gnome is going to fail.
            Sarcasm included?

Comment

Sarcasm included?
              the whole package :'D

Comment

Well. There's always some exceptional alternative, which gets picked up and is preferable option for large percentage of users.

However, nowadays with always on internet connection, YouTube is the most preferable music player for many users. No downloading (buying) required, no music files management and backup required, no extra application required, .. just launch it immediately. It gets a bit worse, when don't have an internet access, no music..

The point is, some of alternatives might become serious and commonly used projects. Not every code out there is a toy project.
                The treble and overall audio quality that YouTube music has can be atrocious to down-right horrible. If that's the preferred option for a large percentage of users, then a large percentage of users have no concept of good sounding music.

What's funny is I'll download songs from YouTube if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to "obtain" a FLAC or high-quality AAC or MP3 rip....but I'd never consider YouTube to be the de facto standard, only player to ever use because 1) the aforementioned audio quality and 2) relying on the internet for 100% of something with no alternative is just plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Pretty sure Maps is going to be used by the Librem phones / devices.
                  All 12 of them?

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

That bothered me too. Thankfully another was equally annoyed enough to create the "simpler off menu" extension.
                    I just simply set the option "Power Off" on pressing the power button, it now immediately displays the confirmation dialog box when pressed. No click required...

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

I just simply set the option "Power Off" on pressing the power button, it now immediately displays the confirmation dialog box when pressed. No click required...
                      I do that too and treat it as a worst case scenario button. If the system freezes up, acts funny, whatever, I just press the power button and wait about two minutes -- if it doesn't shut down by then I'm probably in a scenario where I can't REISUB or crtl+alt+del my way out of it so I'll likely end up having to hard reset.

Comment

Working...
                      X