Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.38 Beta Released Ahead Of Official Release Next Month

Phoronix: GNOME 3.38 Beta Released Ahead Of Official Release Next Month

GNOME 3.37.90 has been released this weekend to serve as the beta of the upcoming GNOME 3.38 desktop release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a "Boot Options" is added to the restart dialog
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome.../-/issues/2202

I was glad to hear that they accepted my suggestion and that it was included in Gnome. It was just an aesthetic issue, but it irritated me a lot.

Comment

I'm still waiting for someone to initiate the work for separating the shell and the compositor. That's a gigantic cause for unresponsiveness on Wayland, and it makes it unusable for me.

The upstream Wayland devs should quit trying to be neutral and implement a definitive set of compositor libraries. A compositor is way too complex for it to be a delegated responsibility for desktop environments, and to this day no one has done it adequately. Though, I admit I personally don't know about wlroots. There's no stacking environments to try with it, and that is what usually causes the hard problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome.../-/issues/2202

I was glad to hear that they accepted my suggestion and that it was included in Gnome. It was just an aesthetic issue, but it irritated me a lot.
        Problem for me is not naming. It's that they made a change (in 3.34 or 3.36) from previous icon buttons to a sub-menu. This change requires an extra-click for powering off, rebooting and suspending. Why would you suddenly add an extra click for no reason after 17-18 iterations of the DE?

Anyway, this release doesn't seem to bring much to the table, except maybe some performance improvements mentioned earlier (but not in this article). Plus, nobody cares about Epiphany, Maps or Boxes. They should get rid of these barely used apps to focus on actually improving their lacklustre DE.

Comment

Bring On Gnome4

Comment

Mez' +1 for
            Plus, nobody cares about Epiphany, Maps or Boxes. They should get rid of these barely used apps to focus on actually improving their lacklustre DE.
            I wonder why GNOME devs are wasting time on those apps which NOBODY bothers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Problem for me is not naming. It's that they made a change (in 3.34 or 3.36) from previous icon buttons to a sub-menu. This change requires an extra-click for powering off, rebooting and suspending. Why would you suddenly add an extra click for no reason after 17-18 iterations of the DE?

Anyway, this release doesn't seem to bring much to the table, except maybe some performance improvements mentioned earlier (but not in this article). Plus, nobody cares about Epiphany, Maps or Boxes. They should get rid of these barely used apps to focus on actually improving their lacklustre DE.
              Well, what's wrong with having a confirmation dialog? I would not like to accidentally shut down my computer, then spent 15 minutes bringing up all local development software, in case that the wireless mouse stutters and I click shutdown button.

Under normal circumstances, a regular user uses shutdown once a day. I don't use shutdown often, maybe once a week or two, as suspend preserves my local development environment, which takes 15 minutes to start...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                bearoso Wayland upstream is already dominated by GNOME and Red Hat devs so Mutter is what you are asking for. All major distributors figured this out a loong ago and just ship GNOME.

Experimental wayland compositors are here for the same reason as you got 100+ music players. People like to code. Of course this is going to fail but that’s fun to watch even when 100% predictable.
                Well. There's always some exceptional alternative, which gets picked up and is preferable option for large percentage of users.

However, nowadays with always on internet connection, YouTube is the most preferable music player for many users. No downloading (buying) required, no music files management and backup required, no extra application required, .. just launch it immediately. It gets a bit worse, when don't have an internet access, no music..

The point is, some of alternatives might become serious and commonly used projects. Not every code out there is a toy project.

Comment

Pretty sure Maps is going to be used by the Librem phones / devices. Boxes I use all the time, and Epiphany is good for those times when a page doesn't work right in Firefox, but you don't want to have any of Google's crap on your computer!

Comment

Problem for me is not naming. It's that they made a change (in 3.34 or 3.36) from previous icon buttons to a sub-menu. This change requires an extra-click for powering off, rebooting and suspending...
                    That bothered me too. Thankfully another was equally annoyed enough to create the "simpler off menu" extension.

Comment

Working...
                    X