Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice / The Document Foundation Generated Around One Million Dollars For 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie68
    replied
    They seem to have raised more money than most FOSS operating systems
    It's easy to understand why, in GNU / Linux LibreOffice is perhaps the only big open suorce project for office suites, while there are so many distributions!

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I hope they don't waste it entirely on pushing their "cloud" LibreOffice Online monetisation platform alongside their "partners".
    How dare they become a self-sustaining project and not rely on donations anymore.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No, that's the version number of the next generation AT-AT, powered by LibreOffice
    I should quit the thread because my competition has decided to say no to compatibility again!

Support uid = Support 144Hz = Support Apple = Support trashing of old hardware that still works!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 08-12-2020, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Typo:
    No, that's the version number of the next generation AT-AT, powered by LibreOffice

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    They seem to have raised more money than most FOSS operating systems

I hope they don't waste it entirely on pushing their "cloud" LibreOffice Online monetisation platform alongside their "partners".

There is still a lot of "actual" work to be done. One I would love to see is making it simpler for porters / package maintainers to package. These are often sole efforts done by individuals and from what I have been told, LibreOffice is fairly messy and awkward to package.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    That's actually very little if you consider the size of the project and how hard it is to maintain such a big codebase. If LibreOffice wants to seriously compete with Microsoft in the future, they probably need 10x the money at the very least.
    Money doesn't necessarily = solid software, O365 being a good example.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
    For all we know the numbers in this "annual report" are floobydust.
    Yeah, because publicly traded company are never caught fudging the numbers as well

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    That's actually very little if you consider the size of the project and how hard it is to maintain such a big codebase. If LibreOffice wants to seriously compete with Microsoft in the future, they probably need 10x the money at the very least.
    This revenue does not represent the effort that goes into the project. Companies like Collabra contribute developers, but are not funded from this €1m.
    The other thing to note in my opinion is that Microsoft doesn't develop the core product much. The file formats hardly change and VBA must be 20 year old. And the new products which do get development, like mobile and web, only support a small subset of features, so there's not much point for microsoft in making the product more functional. Office is more of a cash cow than Windows, I think.

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    So now I feel my regular but small donation is making a difference, because it sounds like the revenue is mostly from users making small donations.

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X