No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Released As The Open-Source, Vulkan-Accelerated Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 Released As The Open-Source, Vulkan-Accelerated Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 Released As The Open-Source, Vulkan-Accelerated Office Suite

LibreOffice 7.0 has been released! Making LibreOffice 7.0 so exciting is that the Cairo code was replaced with Google's Skia library and in the process gaining optional support for GPU accelerating the user-interface with Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After eleven years, and all that money NOT used for development or to pay any developers, you all are still waiting for a miracle, aren't you?...

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
      After eleven years, and all that money NOT used for development or to pay any developers, you all are still waiting for a miracle, aren't you?...
      What miracle? This works well for basic users the problem is Calc

Comment

I don't have problems with Calc either but I am just a basic user too. Visualizing my data 'n' stuff...

Comment

Better multithreading and better calc, please. No more gimmicks.

Too much resources wasted for LibreOffice for web and an useless Android port prototype, IMHO.

Comment

This is lacking some serious business features. Facebook integration, animated emojis, VR headset support, and a port to OS/2 Warp, to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Better multithreading and better calc, please. No more gimmicks.

Too much resources wasted for LibreOffice for web and an useless Android port prototype, IMHO.
              I absolutely agree on web and Android, so much manpower wasted!

In a crazy dream, I wish they would get rid of Java all together (saying this as a primarily Java dev).

Comment

"replaced with Google's Skia library" - so OpenOffice is even more bloated now?

I primarily use Gnumeric and Abiword instead of OpenOffice equivalents. Gnumeric does everything I need. It's much less bloated than OpenOffice -- opens faster, uses minimal memory.

Comment

Sounds like an awesome release! I didn't quite get from the release notes what the status of skia and vulkan is on linux - will it already get used in 7.0?

Comment

It's so sad when people won't/can't realize if the office suite doesn't run well on top of OpenGL, the problem is the office suite, not the underlying graphics library...
                    You can't even claim it was done for increased compatibility, because I don't think Vulkan has better support then OpenGL for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                    X