Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Can we not talk about Pakistan here?

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

There's a config option in Gnome and according to its description you can dissallow applications to use the camera. On the other front the 'high level security' means nothing. You can set whatever you want, but you still have to put a tape on your camera when using Windows.
    Unfortunately I cannot stand Gnome 3, but hopefully one day KDE developers will implement something like this.

While the webcam can be taped for the best security, the mike will still be able to record.

I just with that in all these 20 years or so these big desktop environments like Gnome and KDE woul've make these basic privacy and security controls for both webcam and mike.

But yeah, they had more important things to do like changing the wallpapers, icons and colors every year.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
    I can say you that as soon as Gnome Shell 3.38 is out, a new version of DING will be out using this patch.
    Thank you !!

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    This is a non desirable situation, because an extension runs in the same main loop than the whole desktop itself, which means that a complex extension can need to do too much work inside the main loop, and freeze the whole desktop for too much time.
    maybe it's time to stop running javascript extensions in main loop?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I wanted to ask the same for the first question!
    so now there are two of you who are unable to read article

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Trusted by whom?
    by compositor. did you read article?

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Alexmitter True. Now let’s see what the extensions devs can make of this..
    Well, I can say you that as soon as Gnome Shell 3.38 is out, a new version of DING will be out using this patch. And probably a new version of Terminus the terminal (but the GTK one, not the electron one), for the "guake drop-down" mode.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007

Wayland is just a protocol that doesn't work. So we are slave to nothing. And compositors are also nothing. Why have I to be forced to use a compositor under wayland if I don't want to? Wayland is more that a protocol, it reduces our choises.
    It works much better, so go whining somewhere else. Why are you 'forcing' us to read such crap?

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    This is a non desirable situation, because an extension runs in the same main loop as the whole desktop itself
    This is an entirely unrelated concern, it seems to me.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007
    Why have I to be forced to use a compositor under wayland if I don't want to? Wayland is more that a protocol, it reduces our choises.
    For the same reason you're "forced" to use an X server under X11 or "forced" to have an engine in your car. You need something which sits between the video drivers and the applications to share one resource between multiple applications and your car needs something to convert fuel or battery power into motion.

It was called an X "server" because, originally, X was always network transparent. Now that network remoting is optional in Wayland implementations, they're named after the one thing they all have in common, they have to generate a desktop pixmap from one or more window pixmaps... the technical term for that process is "compositing" because you're making a "composite image".
    Last edited by ssokolow; 04 August 2020, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X