X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unklejoe
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post
    ... “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms.
    I agree, but it should be noted that those are three unrelated properties. You can have normal gamut SDR 10 bit video, wide gamut SDR 10 bit, wide gamut 8 bit, etc.

That said, the actual HDR standards (HDR10, HDR10+, etc.) do imply a certain pixel bit depth, color gamut, and dynamic range, so that's the best way to describe it if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post

Although “deep” has been around for quite a while when talking about displays, I agree. I’ve never in conversation used the term deep color (though the term deep has different meaning in VFX). “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms. Though HDR is a tad muddied with its variants (12-bit Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and the performance spec of DisplayHDR).

Cheers,
    Mike
    HDR is a long-established, clear term. But the fact that we have 4 different ways of handling HDR input (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG) and a few more for output (various DisplayHDR specs) sure doesn't help, even if I understand the technical reason they exist for. Well, for input it's more of a political reason, but whatever...
    I'm just happy we're starting to move past sRGB.

Leave a comment:

• mroche
    replied
    Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
    I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
    Although “deep” has been around for quite a while when talking about displays, I agree. I’ve never in conversation used the term deep color (though the term deep has different meaning in VFX). “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms. Though HDR is a tad muddied with its variants (12-bit Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and the performance spec of DisplayHDR).

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    10 bits per channel are like 10 years late to the party. Not to Gnome, but to Linux in general. Afaik, what held us back was driver support. Are drivers providing proper support these days?
    I can’t comment on AMD, but NVIDIA has had 10-but support in their Linux driver for some time. However putting DE’s like GNOME into 10-bit mode by forcing Xorg to use 30 bits would break the entire desktop unless apps were launched in a full screen kiosk-like mode. But I don’t have any apps like that, so can’t confirm that part.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mroche; 03 August 2020, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    10 bits per channel are like 10 years late to the party. Not to Gnome, but to Linux in general. Afaik, what held us back was driver support. Are drivers providing proper support these days?

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
    I would prefer to just tell how many bits instead of true color, deep color or whatever they can think next when they improve the colors again.

Leave a comment:

• Unklejoe
    replied
    "Deep color" is a pretty common term in the industry actually

Leave a comment:

• miabrahams
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    That's real deep dude. Real deep. You go surfer bro.

Leave a comment:

• Ubuntu's Prolific GNOME Developer Is Looking To Tackle Deep Color Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Prolific GNOME Developer Is Looking To Tackle Deep Color Support

GNOME could soon be playing nicely with deep color displays that aim to offer more realistic color reproduction thanks to the greater bit depth for each color component...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X