• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you are disagreeing with article text
    The article only says there's some level of support in Intel drivers. Nothing about its reliability.
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    srgb has nothing to do with channel bit width. you can have 16*3 bit wide srgb
    I know. But we are starting to move past sRGB.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I'm just happy we're starting to move past sRGB.
    srgb has nothing to do with channel bit width. you can have 16*3 bit wide srgb

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mroche View Post
    “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms.
    of which only first one relates to channel bit width. wide gamut is about color coordinates, hdr could mean just brightness range

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Afaik, what held us back was driver support
    you are disagreeing with article text

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The android on "proper HDTVs" may or may not have been "proper Android" (i.e. the feature was implemented as a custom hack).

It's embedded stuff after all, the amount of custom stuff is always off the charts.
    Ok, you made me look it up, it's Android 7: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/display/hdr
    It doesn't say 10 bit per se, but the HDR standards mentioned require 10 bit per channel.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
    I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
    Kinda reminds me of "CRTC" still being used today to mean "display".

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

Nobody's mastering content on Android, so there was no pressure there. But considering we've had proper HDR Android TVs for years, it's debatable when Android started offering support.
    The android on "proper HDTVs" may or may not have been "proper Android" (i.e. the feature was implemented as a custom hack).

It's embedded stuff after all, the amount of custom stuff is always off the charts.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Android also only supports 10-bit since not too long ago, and Android is much bigger, so we're not that far behind.
    Nobody's mastering content on Android, so there was no pressure there. But considering we've had proper HDR Android TVs for years, it's debatable when Android started offering support.
    Last edited by bug77; 03 August 2020, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    10 bits per channel are like 10 years late to the party. Not to Gnome, but to Linux in general. Afaik, what held us back was driver support. Are drivers providing proper support these days?
    Android also only supports 10-bit since not too long ago, and Android is much bigger, so we're not that far behind.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Unklejoe View Post

"Deep color" is a pretty common term in the industry actually
    I was picturing the guys that came up with the term:
    - Hey, what comes after Hi- and True-?
    - Deep-!
    - Yup, that was it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X