Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Prolific GNOME Developer Is Looking To Tackle Deep Color Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu's Prolific GNOME Developer Is Looking To Tackle Deep Color Support

    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Prolific GNOME Developer Is Looking To Tackle Deep Color Support

    GNOME could soon be playing nicely with deep color displays that aim to offer more realistic color reproduction thanks to the greater bit depth for each color component...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lor-2020-Start

  • #2
    That's real deep dude. Real deep. You go surfer bro.

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
        I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
        "Deep color" is a pretty common term in the industry actually

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
          I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
          I would prefer to just tell how many bits instead of true color, deep color or whatever they can think next when they improve the colors again.

          Comment


          • #6
            10 bits per channel are like 10 years late to the party. Not to Gnome, but to Linux in general. Afaik, what held us back was driver support. Are drivers providing proper support these days?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
              I believe the more commonplace terminology for this is “HDR” and “10-bit” color instead of “deep” and “30 bit.”
              Although “deep” has been around for quite a while when talking about displays, I agree. I’ve never in conversation used the term deep color (though the term deep has different meaning in VFX). “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms. Though HDR is a tad muddied with its variants (12-bit Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and the performance spec of DisplayHDR).

              Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              10 bits per channel are like 10 years late to the party. Not to Gnome, but to Linux in general. Afaik, what held us back was driver support. Are drivers providing proper support these days?
              I can’t comment on AMD, but NVIDIA has had 10-but support in their Linux driver for some time. However putting DE’s like GNOME into 10-bit mode by forcing Xorg to use 30 bits would break the entire desktop unless apps were launched in a full screen kiosk-like mode. But I don’t have any apps like that, so can’t confirm that part.

              Cheers,
              Mike
              Last edited by mroche; 08-03-2020, 10:15 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mroche View Post

                Although “deep” has been around for quite a while when talking about displays, I agree. I’ve never in conversation used the term deep color (though the term deep has different meaning in VFX). “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms. Though HDR is a tad muddied with its variants (12-bit Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and the performance spec of DisplayHDR).

                Cheers,
                Mike
                HDR is a long-established, clear term. But the fact that we have 4 different ways of handling HDR input (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG) and a few more for output (various DisplayHDR specs) sure doesn't help, even if I understand the technical reason they exist for. Well, for input it's more of a political reason, but whatever...
                I'm just happy we're starting to move past sRGB.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mroche View Post
                  ... “10-bit”, “Wide Gamut”, and “HDR” are more commonly used terms.
                  I agree, but it should be noted that those are three unrelated properties. You can have normal gamut SDR 10 bit video, wide gamut SDR 10 bit, wide gamut 8 bit, etc.

                  That said, the actual HDR standards (HDR10, HDR10+, etc.) do imply a certain pixel bit depth, color gamut, and dynamic range, so that's the best way to describe it if you ask me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Unklejoe View Post

                    "Deep color" is a pretty common term in the industry actually
                    I was picturing the guys that came up with the term:
                    - Hey, what comes after Hi- and True-?
                    - Deep-!
                    - Yup, that was it...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X