Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Developers End July With More Improvements For Plasma 5.20

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Developers End July With More Improvements For Plasma 5.20

    Phoronix: KDE Developers End July With More Improvements For Plasma 5.20

    Even with everything going on in the world around the coronavirus and warm summer temperatures, KDE developers continue making improvements on their desktop stack, including around Wayland support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...20-End-of-July

  • #2
    Having just got a hidpi screen, I hit a pretty nasty bug where enabling PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING makes windows on the hidpi screen not use the whole screen when maximized. It's probably a known issue (otherwise Qt scaling would have been used by default), but I think it's worth taking a look through the KDE backlog and report it if I come up empty.

    Also, I hate the new system monitoring widgets. They were all providing mostly the same functionality, but now that they've been merged into one, the UX is horrible. Pretty hard to set them up (because the configuration is now generic, it doesn't guide you in any way) and impossible to set them up like before (want to see how much of your memory is being used in absolute terms? good luck entering 32GB in bytes in the max value input field, because it doesn't take values that high).
    Last edited by bug77; 01 August 2020, 06:00 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Good blog or not, I don't think I can be down with KDE anymore.

      They're so into forced child labor that cycling through child tasks is part of their task management system

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Having just got a hidpi screen, I hit a pretty nasty bug where enabling PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING makes windows on the hidpi screen not use the whole screen when maximized. It's probably a know issue (otherwise Qt scaling would have been used by default), but I think it's worth taking a look through the KDE backlog and report it if I come up empty.
        Sounds like https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423390. If that's it, fixing it is on my to-do list. Already works on Wayland BTW.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ngraham View Post

          Sounds like https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423390. If that's it, fixing it is on my to-do list. Already works on Wayland BTW.
          Nope, doesn't look like it at all. My windows were missing like a quarter of the screen. Maybe something to do with screens having different ratios (16:10 FHD and the one not maximizing properly 16:9 4k).

          I'll file bug reports, but like I said in another thread, I need to take screenshots, make sure I provide enough context first. As a software developer, I know too well how "useful" "feature X doesn't work" bug reports are.

          Also, do you know whether there's a known bug about one line from the background being shown through windows with scaling enabled? I have a screenshot, but apparently no rights to attach it. It's no biggie, but sometimes minor things can lead to bigger fixes

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Also, I hate the new system monitoring widgets. They were all providing mostly the same functionality, but now that they've been merged into one, the UX is horrible. Pretty hard to set them up (because the configuration is now generic, it doesn't guide you in any way) and impossible to set them up like before (want to see how much of your memory is being used in absolute terms? good luck entering 32GB in bytes in the max value input field, because it doesn't take values that high).
            I don't know if I hate them. I see pros and cons. It takes a while to set it up (finding the right sensir was re hardest task for me) which might turn some people mad.
            The biggest issue I have is a memory leak. Or something like that. I have plasmashell use something in the gigabytes just with an idling desktop. Occasionally the memory gets freed. But usually I had to reboot before that - somehow free memory "disappears", probably eaten by the intel iGPU? No idea what happens. As usual the bugreport stalls. As the system is unusable I went off to gnome-shell. After a small hickup with tracker (which forcefully turned off my laptop due to overheating - thx!) I am happy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Whoa, those sound like odd issues for sure. I haven't seen those, nor bug reports about them.

              What's the environment in which they happen? Single screen/multi screen? Does it happen on Wayland too?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ngraham View Post
                Whoa, those sound like odd issues for sure. I haven't seen those, nor bug reports about them.

                What's the environment in which they happen? Single screen/multi screen? Does it happen on Wayland too?
                Environment? No idea what you mean.
                Default Archlinux installation on a laptop (lenovo L520).
                Single screen, no monitor attached. Happens with wayland, too.
                bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423372

                ((( edit: had to submit my reply in the middle of writing as while editing the editor went amok... )))
                Last edited by schmalzler; 01 August 2020, 12:03 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ngraham View Post
                  i am on the latest versions of KDE and still that bugs that were "fixed" exist... Namely the Battery indicator being not shown after boot on random cases (dbus race condition?) and thumbnail.so lots of processes being left after you plug external drive and brows it in dolphin (mine is encrypted external HDD) which doesn't allow to umount the drive without killing those processes...
                  ngraham how could i double check this?
                  thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sure, they're bugs that need to be fixed. There is an open bugzilla ticket for the first one: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422111.

                    For the second one https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404652 indicates that we think it's been fixed in 20.04. If you're using that version of Dolphin or later, can you leave a comment in that bugzilla ticket?

                    Thanks!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X