Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 3.99 Released With The GTK4 Toolkit Finally Close To Debut

Phoronix: GTK 3.99 Released With The GTK4 Toolkit Finally Close To Debut

The developers working long on the GTK4 toolkit are finally close to declaring version 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While excited about how close we are to GTK4, I can't help but notice that the GTK blog has very little graphical content. By that I mean that I was expecting a screenshot of something, anything; perhaps something pointing out the differences between GTK3 and 4; a gif or two showing movable popovers in action. Not trying to be that guy discussing the competing tech, but they need to take notes from Nate's KDE blog because he does a great job with showing changes in UI development.

Comment

Still no thumbnails in the file picker? Sad.
      Last edited by evasb; 31 July 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        While excited about how close we are to GTK4, I can't help but notice that the GTK blog has very little graphical content. By that I mean that I was expecting a screenshot of something, anything; perhaps something pointing out the differences between GTK3 and 4; a gif or two showing movable popovers in action. Not trying to be that guy discussing the competing tech, but they need to take notes from Nate's KDE blog because he does a great job with showing changes in UI development.
        A little puzzling to read your comment since nearly every link in there has screenshots and some of them have videos

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

A little puzzling to read your comment since nearly every link in there has screenshots and some of them have videos
          Yeah, sometimes, like when I clicked on the link for movable popovers and all the way at the bottom was a single screenshot for the new high contrast theme (which I must say I do like) or when I clicked on scalable lists and they had those demo videos...but the 3.98 link had nothing. I just feel like I have to go out of my way to find and see graphical changes and differences for a graphical toolkit on that blog.

Here's this weeks blog from Nate where there are 4 different screenshots for the new things and/or bug fixes from the past week; and we get those every week. I suppose I'm just spoiled by that blog showing lots of graphical changes for a graphical toolkit and desktop environment over the long term and now expect others, not just GTK, to show similar visuals when changes and fixes occur.

FWIW, I feel the exact same way about most EFL/Enlightenment releases...and a lot of smaller projects suffer from a lack of screenshots and visuals as well though I'm much less critical of them since GTK/GNOME and Qt/KDE take turns at being #1 and #2 and they both have much better funding than most other desktops and toolkits.

Comment

Here's this weeks blog from Nate where there are 4 different screenshots for the new things and/or bug fixes from the past week; and we get those every week. I suppose I'm just spoiled by that blog showing lots of graphical changes for a graphical toolkit and desktop environment over the long term and now expect others, not just GTK, to show similar visuals when changes and fixes occur.
            I see what you are getting it but this one is about the desktop environment, not toolkit changes so I am not sure they are direct comparisons. For instance, if the change in the toolkit is more scalable lists, that's not really a UI element to show. It is more of an internal change. If there are new widgets etc, the blog seems to cover those with screenshots. The more direct equivalent for GNOME might be something like https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/20...and-june-2020/

Comment

It is a toolkit update, some widgets may change but no UI changes were documented in that blog post. Beside some small changes, GTK3 and 4 will not look much different as how widgets look like is strongly depended on the used gtk.css, so you rather track the GTK4 Adwaita changes.

Comment

This GTK 3.99 milestone does mark "the perfect time" to begin look at porting GTK3 software to GTK4. Some GNOME components have already begun experimenting with GTK4 porting.
                And as a third party, I say now is the perfect time to port your software from GTK 2 to GTK 3, which is now stable. Everyone knows of the teething problems with GTK 3, so early adoption of GTK 4 is just asking for trouble.

Comment

It's a shame that the animation API won't make it into 4.0. I'm interested in movable popovers. It may sound strange, but not having this feature was a little jarring when transitioning from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
                    And as a third party, I say now is the perfect time to port your software from GTK 2 to GTK 3, which is now stable. Everyone knows of the teething problems with GTK 3, so early adoption of GTK 4 is just asking for trouble.
                    I agree with the first part.
                    It's 2020 and there still is a lot of software that hasn't been updated to the next toolkits. Calf, jack-keyboard, GIMP and VICE are examples.

Comment

Working...
                    X