Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 79 Is Ready To Ship With Safeguard On "_blank" Links, More Wayland VA-API Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Newer versions of Rust can have improved interference to detect bugs and misbehavior that the earlier version of the compiler did not catch.
    You are not a developer, are you? It is not even a language issue, but some trial bitcode vs. link-time-optimization build system issue. Because apparently in 2020 we need to keep changing options and defaults every other months.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

You are not a developer, are you? It is not even a language issue, but some trial bitcode vs. link-time-optimization build system issue. Because apparently in 2020 we need to keep changing options and defaults every other months.
      Yes, I am. But I haven't used Rust much, I tried to use it but then it got tricky for me with gtk-rs.
      Rust seems pretty nice, but I have my doubts about the module system. You can't copy and paste code from into a module because they have modules inside the mod chapter if you put a module in an existing file so it is shared, but if you put it in a different file then you don't use the mod chapter because it is implicitly a module.

Comment

Yes, I am. But I haven't used Rust much, I tried to use it but then it got tricky for me with gtk-rs.
        Rust seems pretty nice, but I have my doubts about the module system. You can't copy and paste code from into a module because they have modules inside the mod chapter if you put a module in an existing file so it is shared, but if you put it in a different file then you don't use the mod chapter because it is implicitly a module.
        interesting that you also doubt the module system. Like for other Linux distributions, for me Cargo is a huge pain, because it and the hundreds of micro dependencies do not integrate nicely in Linux distribution packages, so that is is not easy to mirror this Rust packages as Linux distribution packages, and thus building and distributing Firefox but even librsvg becomes a real challenge. For me and our #t2sde even more so because our packages are build in reproducible and isolated sandbox' and this prevents Cargo from fetching all the required dependencies behind the distribution's back over the internet :-/ I talked about this in some of the other clickbait trolling YT videos ;-)

Comment

Modules may be painful, but is there a better alternative? To output native code compiled with all the flags and options you need, you either pull the source code for everything or you hope somebody else made available the binary .sos compiled exactly the way you need them. I don't see any way around that.

Fwiw, Golang also had an awkward way of dealing with dependencies. But they changed that after a while and are now also using something called modules. If Rust's modules fall flat on their faces, I'm sure they'll be replaced eventually. But you can't expect Mozilla (or anybody else) to drop a system just because you're uncomfortable using it. (Before you ask, no, I did not make the time to check how well Golang's modules work in practice.)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Modules may be painful, but is there a better alternative? To output native code compiled with all the flags and options you need, you either pull the source code for everything or you hope somebody else made available the binary .sos compiled exactly the way you need them. I don't see any way around that.
            Well in Python every file is a module and there is no way to declare multiple modules or nested modules inside a file. I am a novice and don't really know what I am talking about, but I find the Rust module system to be confusing. I really don't like inline modules and nested inline modules.

Comment

In the time it took you to record a YouTube video and advertise it here you could have just been a good open-source citizen and open a bug report.

It's likely just your specific configuration that's broken, since Nightly compiles and runs just fine here with Rust 1.45 and Clang 10.0.1 (no LTO, ThinLTO and xLTO).
              Last edited by johnp117; 28 July 2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Well in Python every file is a module and there is no way to declare multiple modules or nested modules inside a file. I am a novice and don't really know what I am talking about, but I find the Rust module system to be confusing. I really don't like inline modules and nested inline modules.
                I'd say "don't like 'em, don't use 'em", but you can't control what cargo pulls in for you.
                On the other hand, if it's modules that have you stymied and not lifetimes, I think you're doing pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'd say "don't like 'em, don't use 'em", but you can't control what cargo pulls in for you.
                  On the other hand, if it's modules that have you stymied and not lifetimes, I think you're doing pretty well
                  Well, everything in Rust is kind of difficult, and life times are very tricky too, and the Rc, Arc, Box, dyn box, and everything, but it is a low level language so naturally it is going to be difficult, and the stuff there is for good reasons to be able to handle memory in a safe way. That said, I do think I would like the module system more if it each module was in a separate file and it was not possible to declare inline modules and inline nested modules. I kind of like it when each module is one file, and each directory is a level in the namespace, and I do like it when there is one way to do something and not many different ways to do the same things.

I am a pretty dumb guy so Rust is very difficult for me, but it seems like a pretty good language but personally I feel the module system is unnecessary confusing.

Comment

Well, everything in Rust is kind of difficult, and life times are very tricky too, and the Rc, Arc, Box, dyn box, and everything, but it is a low level language so naturally it is going to be difficult, and the stuff there is for good reasons to be able to handle memory in a safe way. That said, I do think I would like the module system more if it each module was in a separate file and it was not possible to declare inline modules and inline nested modules. I kind of like it when each module is one file, and each directory is a level in the namespace, and I do like it when there is one way to do something and not many different ways to do the same things.

I am a pretty dumb guy so Rust is very difficult for me, but it seems like a pretty good language but personally I feel the module system is unnecessary confusing.
                    Yeah, I'm not that good with Rust either, but that is the takeaway I've heard from others, too: first it hits you like a truck, then it hits you like a truck some more and eventually, if you haven't given up, you start to understand why stuff is being done the way it is done and it was your old ways of programming (unsafely) that stood in your way all along. Kind of like how when you grasp functional programming you start having wtf moments when looking at oop code

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

Thank you for the marketing speak, now getting back to reality, you realize it is exactly this Rust code in Firefox, the project the initiated and Rust was written for, does not compile? One would expect that at least the latest version of these flagship project are written in a way to be compatible and work together.
                      For a long time, Firefox pinned a specific nightly version of Rust in their builds (which they'd update periodically) because they didn't want to wait for various language features to be stabilized. They're not the best example you an choose for code written to Just Work™ on future compiler versions.

Comment

Working...
                      X