KDE Plasma 5.20 To Bring Working Screen Recording / Screencasting On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    what wayland is messing to replace x11 ?
    For Plasma, here's the list: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
      Screen sharing via WebRTC might keep me on X11 :/
      Ok you must mean chrome right? Due to it currently having pipewire issues?

Chrome is having some issues with distributions using newer versions of Pipewire. WebRTC screen sharing can be done by pipewire its once all the finer details have settled in WebRTC will not be a reason to remain on X11 at all.

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Same. I need app screen sharing working in Google Chrome for work and that's why I am tied to X11 like forever. AFAIK only full screen sharing works now through PipeWire and I don't know if that works on KDE at all.
      Ok really what did you not read what was written did you.

KDE Plasma now has the protocol coverage in place that is based on Pipewire for allowing the management of video feeds and requesting output / window streams.

That bit OBS Studio with KDE 5.2.0 is using pipewire for screen sharing and its full screen and window base sharing in wayland mode.

V1tol is now to the point is more a matter of time until the finer details of the version of pipewire chrome is built against and the version of pipewire KDE Plasma needs to do screen sharing in fact align.

Interesting point is the pipewire method is better for those with multi screen setups than the X11 screen capture method.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
        Nice to see that the thread was cleaned up. The same should be done to the rest of the forum.
        Let's do something.

They don't invade our territory, and we don't invade theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Let's do something.

That totally doesn't sound immature...

Really looking forward to Wayland replacing x11 on all desktops. Pity nvidia has been too arrogant to get their crap together

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
            Oaaa. how long has this been sitting there? I've been looking for this since forever. (I'm actually looking for this page to say "all done", but one step at a time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post

Really looking forward to Wayland replacing x11 on all desktops. Pity nvidia has been too arrogant to get their crap together
              I don't think they're being arrogant, if you get the whole picture. Nvidia has a unified driver (with thin wrappers) that works for all operating systems they support. EGLStreams is an extension to EGL which also works on all operating systems they support. GBM is something that is actually not required by Wayland (Wayland is a specification, it doesn't care much how it's implemented). GBM is also Linux specific and happened to be what the reference Wayland implementation used. For some reason, compositors also used GBM at first. gdm has also implemented EGLStreams support in the meantime, kwin is still playing the "understaffed" card.

And I think you can see why Nvidia isn't jumping on the opportunity to implement something that's only usable by less than 3% of their installed base.

For bonus points, when discussing how to move this forward, it was made clear that neither GBM nor EGLStreams are without fault wrt to what they're supposed to do in Wayland, so technically, neither can be declared the better (or worse) solution.

Having just got my 4k monitor, I would love to be able to use separate display scaling at least, so yeah, I'm rooting for Wayland. But the list of known issues is just too long still. I'm sure I'll jump ship at some point, but I've given up on trying to guess which is "the year of Wayland".
              Last edited by bug77; 26 July 2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Oaaa. how long has this been sitting there? I've been looking for this since forever. (I'm actually looking for this page to say "all done", but one step at a time.)
                For years.

It used to be much larger! The "All done" stage is probably not that far off...

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post

How is this immature?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I don't think they're being arrogant, if you get the whole picture. Nvidia has a unified drivers (with thin wrappers) that works for all operating systems they support. EGLStreams is an extension to EGL which also works on all operating systems they support. GBM is something that is actually not required by Wayland (Wayland is a specification, it doesn't care much how it's implemented). GBM is also Linux specific and happened to be what the reference Wayland implementation used. For some reason, compositors also used GBM at first. gdm has also implemented EGLStreams support in the meantime, kwin is still playing the "understaffed" card.
                    BTW KWin has supported EGLStreams for over a year now. The code was in fact contributed by an NVIDIA engineer named Erik Kurzinger so evidently they do care.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Let's do something.

KDE still gets trashed in gnome threads

Comment

Working...
                      X