• Aryma
    replied
    linux is in sorry state

Leave a comment:

• re:fi.64
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    Screen sharing via WebRTC might keep me on X11 :/
    if you're using a Chromium variant, there's a flag in chrome://flags that you can flip on to enable WebRTC sharing over Pipewire, which should work on GNOME, I believe Sway if the wlroots portal is running, and now KDE.

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Same. I need app screen sharing working in Google Chrome for work and that's why I am tied to X11 like forever. AFAIK only full screen sharing works now through PipeWire and I don't know if that works on KDE at all.
    That's not a PipeWire limitation. The Gnome extension EasyScreenCast can record one of multiple screens or an arbitrary rectangle, under gnome's wayland session. ksnip (screen shot & annotation tool) is happy under gnome wayland too. It's getting there and these big steps by KDE will mean KDE won't be too late to the party. As for screensharing, it depends on what you use. Zoom screensharing works under wayland, but a participant using Wayland can't make their session remote controllable by someone else.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Had you know how unnecessarily hard/near-impossible Wayland makes screen recording (and other data query) on your machine, you might reconsider.
    I would not be so smug with the (and other data query). You should have stopped at screen recording. Lets go into the other data query region.

Why do we have AT-SPI2 running by dbus. Because X11 protocol is in fact unable to transfer all the data accessibility applications need to function that why AT-SPI2 exists. So accessibility application needing screen-capture has need to support two system interfaced protocols dbus and x11. The new way wayland solutions need is doing screen capture is like AT-SPI2 that it will work under X11 and Wayland by dbus this now reduces accessibility applications to 1 protocol dbus.

Yes wayland protocol makes it impossible to screen record so forcing development of a dbus side protocol that permission system to access. Lot of ways this is the right thing.

I know moving all data queries people want to perform on-top of dbus instead of X11 means upsetting their code.

Please note those using X11 to screen capture could be screwed over as well if people started using X11 securely. Xephyr and Xnest have you ever though why they they exist. That right you have not be able to screen capture correctly when X11 applications have been sandboxed either. Securish versions of X11 have not been that popular either think they end up running each application in like Xnest/Xephr so they cannot do a complete screen capture only access windows the application created itself. So the wayland problems in fact exist under secure versions of X11 as well. So none of the problems Wayland is causing are new in fact all existed over a 2 decade before Wayland was even a idea with secure versions of X11 servers.

Do we want our general desktop to be a secure designed desktop. I would say yes. Wayland is causing some issues that have been ignored for 2 decades to be now be fixed.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post

BTW KWin has supported EGLStreams for over a year now. The code was in fact contributed by an NVIDIA engineer named Erik Kurzinger so evidently they do care.
    Last I recall the experience was subpar though, and anything that requires XWayland is unable to use nvidia GPU unfortunately. Perhaps the latter would be less of a problem as Wayland adoption grows. Gnome has similar issue with having the initial support from nvidia but plenty of users reporting it as a buggy experience.

Leave a comment:

• Brane215
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Considering there like no known attack in a quarter century, I think I'm good.
    Unlike mobile apps, desktop apps don't automatically phone home with whatever data they might have sniffed With a firewall in place, they don't phone home at all.
    Problem with lethal attacks is that _unknown_ ones tend to kill you.
    Besides, without even looking around for examples, I know that your statement is cr*p.
    X11 is mini-OS in itself, without any concept of safety separation.
    Last edited by Brane215; 25 July 2020, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Had you known how trivially easy X11 makes eavesdropping on your machine, you might reconsider.
    _Especially_ with this kind of extensions.
    Considering there like no known attack in a quarter century, I think I'm good.
    Unlike mobile apps, desktop apps don't automatically phone home with whatever data they might have sniffed With a firewall in place, they don't phone home at all.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

KDE still gets trashed in gnome threads
    I'm pretty sure those guys would suffocate if not allowed to vent.
    But I'm good, I'm only reading Gnome articles, unlike them I don't feel a need to post about a piece of software I don't use.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post

BTW KWin has supported EGLStreams for over a year now. The code was in fact contributed by an NVIDIA engineer named Erik Kurzinger so evidently they do care.
    Oh, right. That's why I was actually able to fire up Wayland once. Took me less than a minute to go back to X

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    Had you known how trivially easy X11 makes eavesdropping on your machine, you might reconsider.
    Had you know how unnecessarily hard/near-impossible Wayland makes screen recording (and other data query) on your machine, you might reconsider.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X