Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposal Raised For GNOME Software Labeling Its Carbon Cost / Environmental Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal Raised For GNOME Software Labeling Its Carbon Cost / Environmental Impact

Phoronix: Proposal Raised For GNOME Software Labeling Its Carbon Cost / Environmental Impact

While GNOME software may be free as in beer, at today's GUADEC 2020 annual GNOME developers conference there was a call that GNOME software should label their "embodied carbon cost" as part of collecting more data on the environmental impact of creating said software and working to reduce said impact...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel like this is a direction that will ironically increase the carbon footprint of the GNOME Foundation.

Comment

What are they teaching software developers in school these days??? It seems there is at least a 50/50 split between actual coding news/work and everything that gets in its way!

Comment

Holly F

Comment

really stupid idea. all of those are money costs, so they should just try to spend less money like everyone else should ffs

Comment

Originally posted by gnulinux82
            More pointless wokeshit from GNOME.
            Exactly. This is what GNOME is today.

A never-complete project with serious visible flaws (not counting performance work), yet let's do something else and procrastinate until the end of time.

Comment

How about labeling the carbon cost for all the stupid wokeness that has turned GNOME into a circus and that *causes* extra carbon emissions by frustrating its users?

Comment

What about checking the carbon emissions for actually running the software itself, i.e. doing some serious performance profiling on GNOME itself?

Why should I even care about how many seals GNOME developers are clubbing for each GNOME release? I care about the product, not if it is "ethically and organically sourced".

Comment

Another "... Studies" major at work.

Comment

Bruh, I propose that to save us all, starting tomorrow the Gnome team should never leave their beds ever again.

That will drastically reduce their carbon footprint, and will save us from having to give a half arsed meh!.

Comment

Working...
                    X