Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME OS Is Taking Shape But Its To Serve For Testing The Desktop

Phoronix: GNOME OS Is Taking Shape But Its To Serve For Testing The Desktop

The virtual GNOME conference kicked off today, GUADEC 2020, and one of the talks was focused on running "GNOME OS" on real hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh yes, the desktop in where it comes broken by default and you have to fix it (and sometimes needing obscure extensions which will break the next month).

KDE had Neon for ages!

Comment

We already have Fedora for that. The effort going into duplicating work (the bane of linux ecosystems) could go into actual work on the desktop itself. It's been in pre-alpha for 9 years.

Comment

If they have any beta versions and if it's easy set up in a virtualized system, I'd love to check it out. It'd be nice to see what's coming down the pipeline before the other distros get it.

Comment

Headline Typo: Its should be It's
          Last edited by tildearrow; 22 July 2020, 10:13 PM. Reason: Can you not

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Headline Typo: Its should be It's

Surprised that tildearrow didn't catch that one.
            (keyboard smash removed)

My girlfriend is giving me a bad day! Enough already!
            What the heck I should be doing my job but no! I skipped the damn title like always! :<
            Last edited by tildearrow; 22 July 2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              We already have Fedora for that. The effort going into duplicating work (the bane of linux ecosystems) could go into actual work on the desktop itself. It's been in pre-alpha for 9 years.
              I think this is for even more bleeding-edge testing...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                tildearrow It’s basically release engineering. Codethink got people working on this, a few distributors also got resources working on this. GnomeOS might be a talking point but the real work happens in buildstream and here https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta Be aware this is real engineering and can’t be replaced by weekly blogs or smart people on forums trash talking about “broken by design”.
                I bet you want GNOME OS to replace all distributions in existence. Heck, perhaps even rename it to 144Hz OS.

Working? Show me the work on fixing UX?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Oh yes, the desktop in where it comes broken by default and you have to fix it (and sometimes needing obscure extensions which will break the next month).
                  KDE had Neon for ages!
                  Wow, so the "honorary editor" starts the thread with an inflammatory "KDE is better than Gnome" post - classy!

Just to quote yourself from the "Ban 144Hz" thread:
                  The problem is that his posts feel like advertising... and people who pay to be in the premium club don't deserve that...
                  Physician, heal thyself...

Comment

But they remove features for the burden of maintenance they cause... Go figure!

Comment

Working...
                    X