Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME OS Is Taking Shape But Its To Serve For Testing The Desktop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Gnome? KDE? I'm trying to switch from XFCE to Sway...

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Auzy View Post
      No idea why the hate for Canonical either.. They've made some fairly large contributions to Linux (and had one of the first mainstream distro's which were usable for a wide variety of audiences).
      Because Canonical's open source projects are always set up one sided and without community involvement, but Canonical tries to use Ubuntu's dominance to push them everywhere.

      e.g. snap.

      Comment


      • #33
        Britoid Yup Canonical has started many ridiculous CLA projects. Most of them are dead and replaced now. Mainly thanks to anti-CLA orgs like Red Hat, Debian and GNOME.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          Gnome? KDE? I'm trying to switch from XFCE to Sway...
          You should definitely use what you are most comfortable with. Compared to 20 years ago, the DE's in Linux are actually in a fairly good state, because so much has been standardized now. Back then, they didn't even share the same sound system..

          Comment


          • #35
            Note: Canonical today is not the same as Canonical 2016! Today they do a lot of good things on GNOME and Debian. It’s nice to know that a CLA predator actually can turn Lawful Good.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Note: Canonical today is not the same as Canonical 2016! Today they do a lot of good things on GNOME and Debian. It’s nice to know that a CLA predator actually can turn Lawful Good.
              I don't understand what's predatory about not giving away your right to open source your own product the way you want to license it. Nobody's calling GNU or Apache predatory.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                Because Canonical's open source projects are always set up one sided and without community involvement, but Canonical tries to use Ubuntu's dominance to push them everywhere.

                e.g. snap.
                One could also argue though, that every distro has such projects though..

                Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Snap's main competitor is Flatpak (Flatpak was launched 6 months after Snap). Bazaar was actually launched before Git too.

                Unity I agree they should have worked more with the community, but they dropped Unity now anyway.. Mir was also a cockup (that was announced years after Wayland apparently). That being said though, they weren't bad projects, and more options are always better

                They also used debs for their base too, used pulseaudio, etc, so they did follow a lot of standards.

                The community involvement issue for some of their projects to me always seemed to be stalled due to other reasons.. In a lot of cases, it wasn't actually Canonical doing the forcing to be honest from what I saw). I think Canonical just gets more slack than many other projects personally..

                I'm biased though, since I use Ubuntu btw.. But other than the private development of Unity, I don't feel they really did anything bad for the community..

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Note: Canonical today is not the same as Canonical 2016! Today they do a lot of good things on GNOME and Debian. It’s nice to know that a CLA predator actually can turn Lawful Good.
                  I don't see any difference. It's well known that Canonical's behaviour is caused by Shuttleworth and he isn't going anywhere.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Auzy View Post

                    One could also argue though, that every distro has such projects though..

                    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Snap's main competitor is Flatpak (Flatpak was launched 6 months after Snap). Bazaar was actually launched before Git too.

                    Unity I agree they should have worked more with the community, but they dropped Unity now anyway.. Mir was also a cockup (that was announced years after Wayland apparently). That being said though, they weren't bad projects, and more options are always better

                    They also used debs for their base too, used pulseaudio, etc, so they did follow a lot of standards.

                    The community involvement issue for some of their projects to me always seemed to be stalled due to other reasons.. In a lot of cases, it wasn't actually Canonical doing the forcing to be honest from what I saw). I think Canonical just gets more slack than many other projects personally..

                    I'm biased though, since I use Ubuntu btw.. But other than the private development of Unity, I don't feel they really did anything bad for the community..
                    Flatpak, Wayland, Pulseaudio, git etc etc were all started as community projects. Yes, they had commercial backing with Red Hat, but Red Hat let the community actually own the projects and doesn't put a dumb CLA around it that lets one company retain ownership of the project.

                    Lennart will be in charge of systemd even if he quits Red Hat, although he probably won't quit because no other job would likely let him work on the stuff the way he does.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      jo-erlend I don’t understand what you are saying. But asking the community to hand over code at a broad license in return for a GPL downstream is predatory.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X