No announcement yet.

GNOME OS Is Taking Shape But Its To Serve For Testing The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough of tildearrow. Here’s some great performance work on some sorting in GTK. >1000x increase in synthetic benchmarks.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-..._requests/2273

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I'm doing exactly what 144Hz did to us in the KDE thread: invade territory.
      Like this is unfair, how come he and his whole clan (uid313 and Alexmitter) party and pee over the KDE thread and we can't?
      2 days ago you were going on about "social justice warriors" or whatever. Now Ironically, you're a a keyboard warrior (KW) defending KDE against non-KDE users (which literally has nothing to do with this conversation). Everybody else in the Linux community moved on from DE flamewars 20 years ago.. Get over it mate.. Even the KDE/Gnome developers aren't flaming each other..

I've been using Linux for at least 20 years (Xfree86 + Glide days).. Nobody would consider either desktop broken by default, and the usability of each tends to come down to the quality of the QA by the distribution. Gnome had good wayland support first, but KDE has plenty of interesting features (they basically wrote the book on compositing). Even Linus has shuffled between DE's, and I'm willing to bet the Xorg team does too... It's actually good both DE's went down totally different paths too, because there are more options for users now.

Really not sure why anyone would consider this a bad thing, as it helps Gnome to help optimise their user-experience and rely less on distributions to do so for them, and some of these benefits will likely trickle down to many KDE users too.

Maybe the endgame in a decade might be to eliminate some of the distributions overall, and I have no problem with that, if the end result is efficient, fast and usable. Even if this project is used only for testing, more testing of testing snapshots is good..
      Last edited by Auzy; 07-23-2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

(keyboard smash removed)

My girlfriend is giving me a bad day! Enough already!
        What the heck I should be doing my job but no! I skipped the damn title like always! :<
        everything alright with you? You seem to be a bit distracted

Comment

hahahaha Canonical, that's what you get for trying to help a cancerous company, hope this serves you as a lesson, you shouldn't have dropped unity for gnome 3

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post

Again, another user can't barge into KDE threads to bend them into flamewars, but you totally can do the same in GNOME threads because... ?
            He and his clan did, so I am. :l
            Enough of trying to tell him to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Enough of tildearrow. Here’s some great performance work on some sorting in GTK. >1000x increase in synthetic benchmarks.
              Sure, yeah, good.

Does Average Joe care about this, or does he care more about having a usable thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

But you shouldn't worry, there are people with very limited brains, it is more satisfying to ignore than to go down to their level.
                Except nobody does, and they rack up likes to no end.
                The more they get, the weaker the Other Desktops are and the less Freedom we have.

Comment

Originally posted by Auzy View Post
                  Everybody else in the Linux community moved on from DE flamewars 20 years ago.. Get over it mate.. Even the KDE/Gnome developers aren't flaming each other..
                  That... was the case...

...only until now when 144Hz decided starting Phoronix War I was a good idea.
                  This is his thread anyway... .-.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                    hahahaha Canonical, that's what you get for trying to help a cancerous company, hope this serves you as a lesson, you shouldn't have dropped unity for gnome 3
                    Not to support The Crusade, but at least they fixed GNOME 3 to some degree in their distro. Stock GNOME is unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Actually, even for gaming Gnome performance improved massively . In earlier Gnome 3 releases, games ran a LOT slower on Gnome than Windows or KDE (with compositing turned off, which was a shortcut).

However, as of late, I found games on Gnome are as fast, and Gnome is definitely in a state it's now competitive against Windows. It will be even more interesting to see what happens with Wayland (which may potentially have even better performance long term).

No idea why the hate for Canonical either.. They've made some fairly large contributions to Linux (and had one of the first mainstream distro's which were usable for a wide variety of audiences).

Comment

Working...
                      X