OpenRGB 0.3 Released For Open-Source RGB Lighting Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Like a lot of the people here, I don't really care for RGB products, but when I bought my keyboard the RGB models were cheaper so I have one. I'm hoping that in the long run that OpenRGB will have notification features like the software the Das Keyboard Q models have or that they'll be able to use the lights as a way of showing temperature ranges or be able to incorporate other utilitarian uses into it.
    Bling, it won't make you code better.

Comment

it really seams that a lot of products are shipped with switched on state....why cant they ship them switched off by default and tell the people they simply have to switch it on?

Comment

I'm just waiting for something I can write a simple config file to turn off all of the decorative lights on my machine. These days it is actually hard to find a case that has decent airflow and sound deadening, which also does not have a giant glass panel on the side; so if you can't turn off these lights in software conveniently, they are a real bother.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          These days it is actually hard to find a case that has decent airflow and sound deadening, which also does not have a giant glass panel on the side
          Not that difficult: e.g. Fractal has all of its cases with solid side panel (although they usually put with transparent ones on advertisements ).

Comment

which also does not have a giant glass panel on the side
            My case doesn't have that (MasterCase 5). It should be fairly common but I am not sure anymore...

Comment

I'm just waiting for something I can write a simple config file to turn off all of the decorative lights on my machine. These days it is actually hard to find a case that has decent airflow and sound deadening, which also does not have a giant glass panel on the side; so if you can't turn off these lights in software conveniently, they are a real bother.
              Don't you know you can make your own case out of cardboard?

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                It's nice to be able to control LEDs from Linux. I don't really fancy them nor mind them, it's just something to play around :-)

Unfortunately my Gigabyte / AORUS Board needs the acpi_enforce_resources=lax kernel parameter to control my RAM-Lights, which is apparently quite unsafe - and I'm not sure if there can be a better solution in the future that is not unsafe :-(
                Don't take my word for it, but that option seems to not do much harm. Currently I have to use it for my Gaming K7 board (first gen Ryzen machine) for all sensors to work (GB changed something in their latest BIOS revisions ACPI related). No problems so far. I also needed to use that option on an older Sabertooth board for it to even boot newer kernels.

As for OpenRGB, I like it and it's good to finally have an option in Linux for RGB control. If I only had more RGB devices lol. I don't use the program mostly because I have to give user permissions to hardware devices for my motheboard; single user machine here so I don't really care security wise but I have to do it on every boot. That and settings are not saved to the board (so I have to apply the RGB settings every time I boot my machine).

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

Don't take my word for it, but that option seems to not do much harm. Currently I have to use it for my Gaming K7 board (first gen Ryzen machine) for all sensors to work (GB changed something in their latest BIOS revisions ACPI related). No problems so far. I also needed to use that option on an older Sabertooth board for it to even boot newer kernels.

As for OpenRGB, I like it and it's good to finally have an option in Linux for RGB control. If I only had more RGB devices lol. I don't use the program mostly because I have to give user permissions to hardware devices for my motheboard; single user machine here so I don't really care security wise but I have to do it on every boot. That and settings are not saved to the board (so I have to apply the RGB settings every time I boot my machine).
                  From what I've read the acpi_enforce_resources option controls if the kernel should restrict ACPI access to safe areas, e.g. not in use by the BIOS or another driver. Driver conflicts should be the biggest risk, which would mean two drivers thinking they have exclusive access but not actually having it. I found an old thread somewhere where two kernel modules were trying to read the same temperature sensor and refused to boot without acpi_enforce_resources=lax.

My conclusion is that it's unsafe because it's opening the kernel for driver conflicts and potentially system instability, not necessarily security issues.
                  Last edited by Djhg2000; 29 July 2020, 02:53 PM. Reason: Formatting error

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Bling, it won't make you code better.
                    No, but if you can tell the bling to STFU until the CPU or GPU hits 80C where it should light up like a Christmas tree, then it goes from being annoying bling into a temperature gauge to tell you to quit compiling Firefox or to stop playing Tomb Raider on Ultra.

Comment

Working...
                    X