No announcement yet.

Fedora Looks To Make DXVK Their Default Back-End For Direct3D 9/10/11 On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Looks To Make DXVK Their Default Back-End For Direct3D 9/10/11 On Wine

Phoronix: Fedora Looks To Make DXVK Their Default Back-End For Direct3D 9/10/11 On Wine

Fedora like most distributions ship their Wine packages as-is at the defaults, but for Fedora 33 we could see DXVK used by default on Wine in place of the conventional WineD3D back-end for Direct3D 9/10/11 usage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should be fine. Anyone with a GPU of the last 10 years should be good to go. There will be some exceptions, but then again, its an expception to the much greater as is.

Comment

Why Fedora is so based?

Comment

Pragmatic move.

Comment

Seems to be doing effort for the sake of doing effort. Lutris already has this and even configurable. Is there any masochist who uses stock wine on its own for gaming?

Comment

So Ms will never open source direct 3d for us? It would be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
              So Ms will never open source direct 3d for us? It would be even better.
              Would it though? It would have to be ported anyway, you couldn't build the code as-is. And then graphics drivers would need to add support, which is problematic considering the 99.999999% market share of nvidia. They wouldn't give a f****k. As an alternative it should be possible to do something like gallium-nine for 10 and 11 too. In fact, the thing already existed many years ago, and went extinct due to lack of interest. Wouldn't help nvidia, but that's problematic anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                Seems to be doing effort for the sake of doing effort. Lutris already has this and even configurable. Is there any masochist who uses stock wine on its own for gaming?
                People who don't know any better, who haven't learned about Lutris, new Linux users, non-Phoronix readers, etc.

I remember the days where we had to do our own custom wine builds, had to search around for patches, and all that stuff...so while I learned a lot doing that, I'd rather a distribution just include the stuff that'll make other stuff "just work".

Comment

I'm using Winehq builds of wine and my own scripts to manage prefixes. Lutris is an overkill for my needs.

Comment

one of configuration choices in lutris is "system". what are you trying to say, fedora should drop wine package?
                    Last edited by pal666; 21 July 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X