Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird 78 Rolls Out With UI Updates, New Features

Phoronix: Thunderbird 78 Rolls Out With UI Updates, New Features

There is finally a new release of the Thunderbird mail/RSS client available as the annual update to this longtime Mozilla mail client. Thunderbird 78 is the new version out and serves as an Extended-Support Release with many improvements in tow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A bit of a warning that this release makes profile changes that are not backwards compatible. That is if you upgrade to TB78 you cannot got back to earlier versions of Thunderbird without restoring a backup or resetting (deleting) your existing profile.

Comment

Why does the blog use screenshots on macOS? Not only is the main user-base probably Windows, followed by Linux but also Apple consumers will probably only ever use Apple's mail client.

Do they perhaps think that Apple's software is beautiful and perfect? In that case, I worry about their ability to actually produce effective UI design to be used professionally and efficiently. It seems like the designers probably pine for Apple's UI and will always be held back and stunted by that.

That said, since quite a few places have switched to non-standard EWS (Microsoft profiteering from COVID), Thunderbird has been very useful in providing decent support. I use it along with davmail to babysit Microsoft's silly protocols.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 17 July 2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Eagerly waiting the day that the message list pane is finally brought into the modern world by allowing more than 1 line in each row.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Why does the blog use screenshots on macOS? Not only is the main user-base probably Windows, followed by Linux but also Apple consumers will probably only ever use Apple's mail client.

Do they perhaps think that Apple's software is beautiful and perfect? In that case, I worry about their ability to actually produce effective UI design to be used professionally and efficiently. It seems like the designers probably pine for Apple's UI and will always be held back and stunted by that.

That said, since quite a few places have switched to non-standard EWS (Microsoft profiteering from COVID), Thunderbird has been very useful in providing decent support. I use it along with davmail to babysit Microsoft's silly protocols.
          Well... even Apple users have a choice in what software they want to use, and Apple's mail client isn't everyone's favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Well... even Apple users have a choice in what software they want to use, and Apple's mail client isn't everyone's favorite.
            Really? I thought Apple users were completely blinkered in their options and would *only* go with what Apple tells them. That is how cults work right?

Comment

The rest of us don't even know what MacOS looks like. You must be a traitor to the Church of Emacs and Saint IGNUcious to have crossed enemy lines and gained that demonic knowledge.

Comment

I used Thunderbird as my primary email client in MacOS, Windows, and Linux for quite a while. It's nice to be able to use the same email client, browser, IDE, etc across various OSes sometimes so that you don't have to relearn a new program for every activity you want to do on each OS.

I had to switch to Evolution for Linux mail for work a while back (it's the only allowed software with 2fA for Outlook on the office365 site), but otherwise still keep Thunderbird around

Comment

I use TB on my mac dev machine aswell as personal linux and windows laptops. it is nice to have the same interface no matter the OS.

Comment

Why does the blog use screenshots on macOS?
                    That's what the developer uses, please stop being non-inclusive. Feelings can be hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X