Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WirePlumber Ready For The Linux Desktop As Replacement To PipeWire's Session Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WirePlumber Ready For The Linux Desktop As Replacement To PipeWire's Session Manager

Phoronix: WirePlumber Ready For The Linux Desktop As Replacement To PipeWire's Session Manager

Announced earlier this year was WirePlumber as a new session manager for PipeWire with its role in managing of audio/video streams to/from hardware/software components as well as handling security/permissions, device monitoring, and other session management functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A wire plumber is an electrician.

Comment

Will gnome be using Wireplumber for its policy generation or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        Will gnome be using Wireplumber for its policy generation or something else?
        Why would they waste time and development effort doing so, if they already have their own Pipewire session manager baked into Gnome? (Actually, do they? I'm using an older distribution that has no Pipewire so I don't even know crap about it except that Chromium Wayland and Firefox Wayland apparently need it to allow screen / application sharing over web conferencing platforms.)

But for other DEs that don't have one, it will be a good thing to do so, i'm sure.

Comment

How long will they support PulseAudio now?

Comment

Maybe they should have called it "Mario".

Comment

Is it usable for daily use? What's the PulseAudio and JACK1/2 compatibility?

Comment

The wire software names between PipeWire and Wireguard will be confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                  The wire software names between PipeWire and Wireguard will be confusing.
                  I'm going to develop a sound-over-vpn utiliy and call it PipeWireGuard

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    Is it usable for daily use? What's the PulseAudio and JACK1/2 compatibility?
                    I'm using it daily on Debian with no issues at all. I don't use many jack1/2 programs, just tried out qjackctl and it worked, so I don't really know how deep the rabbit hole goes

Comment

Working...
                    X