GNOME Optimizations Continue In Striving For Faster 4K Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    royce vanvugt doesn’t review other people’s work. Vanvugt opens many premature and experimental MRs then closes them again. The other guys waste much time on this and get no reviews in return. That’s pretty bad behavior. Add the “only vanvugt cares about performance” narrative and you get small scale conflicts.
    Saying that any non-core contributor "wastes time" and has to "return" something is... well, quite stupid. You do not have to necessarily become a project maintainer (complete with review duties) if you contribute. That's not how FOSS works.

Besides, it's not something you can decide to do unilaterally. There is little value in providing reviews if the maintainers are not going to trust them.

Comment

What's worth to note videos in Firefox in Wayland are super smooth with valid Linux drivers (even 4k videos, but on fullHD monitor it probably doesn't matter, does it?). I also tried to move a window over a video to notice how CPU usage goes up.. but it didn't even move! Fedora 32, Open Source AMD graphic drivers and Wayalnd gives super smooth, hardware accelerated experience. Something unachievable with xorg and nvidia blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        Ok, I'll correct myself: the shell does use GTK, but mostly for things like theming
        Not so sure about that.
        When you start playing with themes, you'll have to deal with a gtk.css (windows) and a gnome-shell.css file for the shell (if you're lucky, otherwise it's an ugly gresource file that requires many steps to be modified).

Also, theming in Gnome requires an extension.

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I am running Ubuntu 20.04, Gnome in Wayland mode, on a 4K television (a 2019 LG OLED) using an AMD Vega 56. Videos all play correctly in Firefox or Totem.

I also run Fedora 32 on a laptop. Also gnome-shell, wayland, Intel iGPU. Videos work there too.

And the Raptor Talos II with Power9 CPUs and a Radeon Pro WX7100 (essentially an RX580) runs Fedora 32, Wayland Gnome, and plays videos correctly.

Whatever is going on with your setup is somehow specific to one of your hardware devices or a configuration you made.
        Good to know, thanks. I'm using amdgpu on a 65" 4k60 TV with HDMI through an AV receiver (4k60 passthrough compliant) or on a 28" 4k60 monitor (with DisplayPort). Or on both. None of them work without the weirdly accelerated video playing.

It occurs only for 4k60 on wayland.

Whenever I have time, I will double check on Manjaro and report the issue

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Then Mutter & its integration with GTK are at fault. All part of the Gnome Projects, I never brought up the gnome-shell, you did.
          Everything is involved to paint the UI, the smartest thing would be to skip the parts that aren't visible, that's where the scenegraph kicks in.
          In fact, Gnome is resisting server side decorations in Wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            That's great news. I run a multi monitor 4k set up on my laptop and haven't been able to use GNOME daily because performance is abysmal on either of those two scenarios (multi monitor and 4k). I use sway as my daily driver which works great but I do miss a more full featured and integrated desktop experience.
            This is the perfect example of those that do not have the ability to actually do the work should consider contributing by sending resources (money, hardware) to those that can, and are willing to research issues and contribute. So the next time someone invests in that $5000 gaming rig, buy three and seed a few developers willing to make sure 4K 120Hz works well. The reality is that most of the time a developers itch is more important than you what *you* want, so if you want the developer to care, give them an itch, and the tools to reproduce and scratch it.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Saying that any non-core contributor "wastes time" and has to "return" something is... well, quite stupid. You do not have to necessarily become a project maintainer (complete with review duties) if you contribute. That's not how FOSS works.

Besides, it's not something you can decide to do unilaterally. There is little value in providing reviews if the maintainers are not going to trust them.
              This is my experience as well. When I contribute fixes to things, no one has so far expected me to be a code reviewer. Does he have commit rights? If so, then maybe expectations are higher.

Comment

intelfx I answered why the other team members sometimes feels he is annoying. That’s it.

No one denies he is excellent with a profiler, have coding talent and is remarkably consistent in coming up with new solutions. It’s great to have a guy like this but he would run a compositor project to its grounds if he wasn’t countered by strong reviewers and maintainers.
                The overall effect of all this chaos/tension is very good for the end user There is a lot of talk these days about the need for diversity: dealing with different personalities, work styles and motivations is the probably the sharp edge of the diversity debate for a lot of open source projects. Gnome is getting better at it, I would say.

Comment

he would run a compositor project to its grounds if he wasn’t countered by strong reviewers and maintainers.
                  Your bullying against van Vugt needs to stop. He was responsible for compiz when it was still maintained by Canonical for Unity 7, and guess what – no Red Hat guys needed to "strongly review" his code. Van Vugt is very much capable of producing quality code all by himself. (Code reviews should obviously still be part of any software development process.)

Maybe we should ask who reviewed all the flawed code that has been used in gnome-shell, mutter and gjs up to 3.36.

Comment

timrichardson The end user would probably prefer efficiency rather than chaos. Anyway having a guy dedicated to profiling compositor is great but the responsibility of keeping everything sane, predictable and maintainable is 10x the job.

What really puzzles me is how Phoronix found these weekly reports from vanvugt to be more interesting than anything the other Canonical or GNOME devs work on. Yeah, I get that we all like sitting in arm chairs sipping coffee and read about performance improvements. Now it gets boring and feeds stupid narratives like only vanvugt or Canonical cares about performance.
                    Maybe you're right, but apparently for almost 10 years the Gnome Foundation and Red Hat didn't. And don't tell me they were focused on features.

Comment

I install stock centos 8 or rhel 8 and sooner rather than later there are “pauses” in getting any response at all..
                      no keyboard or mouse input works, current windows stop responding all for 5-10 seconds at a time..

remove all gnome and install xfce and all the problems go away..

Until I see a gnome version that does not have this issue, the first thing I am doing now is installing without GUI and then adding a different one.

Comment

Working...
                      X