X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

I am running NVidia blob with Xorg on a 4k screen using nvidia's recent prime render offload (this is a laptop) and can watch 4k hardware accelerated videos in youtube fine (using Brave with the necessary patches because Google doesn't want to support hardware accelearted video in Chromium generally).

Honestly stop spreading FUD.
    Great, but move some windows over it and tell me your CPU usage. It's not FUD nvidia always sucked in 2D/Desktop performance. Nvidia should be banned:

So next thing what I did just for experiment, I got cheapest with UHD res. support AMD card RX 550 and put it in extra pcie slot and I couldn’t believe my eyes, everything was buttery smooth constantly, without any laggs with UI and web browsers. And this is with opensource drivers. So how is this possible that cheap AMD card is outperform my Titan RTX? And also why my 10 years old macbook air even with latest Macos, still fluid with UI or web browsing with freaking integrated intel graphics?
    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...linux/124039/6
    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...ng-slow/126536

Ps. of course you're using it with Xorg. This crap doesn't work with Wayland.
    Last edited by Volta; 14 July 2020, 06:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post

Thats not "premature optimization", its fixing a lack of design (what to do when and where). GTK4 will finally have a scenegraph, so there is hope that one day Gnome will not need a 3Ghz Quadcore to not be slower than my 50Mhz Amiga 1200 when drawing the UI.
    Only if they rewrite GNOME Shell with GTK, currently it's using custom toolkit called St. Concepts for GNOME Shell 4 include separating compositor and UI part with rewriting it with GTK so there is some chance.
    Last edited by dragon321; 14 July 2020, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    what a mess gnome3 is...

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
    Your bullying against van Vugt needs to stop.
    No point in calling a sad two bob troll operating from his mom's basement a bully

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

This is the perfect example of those that do not have the ability to actually do the work should consider contributing by sending resources (money, hardware) to those that can, and are willing to research issues and contribute. So the next time someone invests in that $5000 gaming rig, buy three and seed a few developers willing to make sure 4K 120Hz works well. The reality is that most of the time a developers itch is more important than you what *you* want, so if you want the developer to care, give them an itch, and the tools to reproduce and scratch it.
    I regularly contribute to Ubuntu, Firefox and Sway via bug reports and beta testing. I maintain open source projects of my own that people use daily. I'm not sure what else I can do to live up to your high standards.

Leave a comment:

• gwelter
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Isedonde A few facts for you to consider. Unity7 is dead, Mutter is booming. Vanvugt’s merged-closed ratio is 66/56=1.18. Vanvugt reviewed zero merge requests. Vanvugt couldn’t be bothered to use the labels systems to correctly sort the merge requests. Vanvugt couldn’t be bother to follow code style or commit message style. Compare that to any core devs or maintainers and you see a completely different approach to team work.

Oh and you complain about the current code reviewers? Well vanvugt wasted so much of their bandwidth on poor merge requests.
    What are you? Some sports journalist who is keeping track of batting averages?

Your seemingly ungrateful loud mouthing from the sideline doesn't help. If you think you can provide better patches step up or shut up. Or atleast make civilized and constructive remarks where they matter and not in a forum the developers might never see them. If the project maintainers think the patches are sub-standard or think someone should be more involved in the reviews they can voice their opinions.

I'm also done with all the tribalism everywhere. It always ends up in some 'us vs them' narrative. So what if you don't care about Canonical or Unity? There's no need for a negative reaction. Be happy that someone is looking at improving this area of code.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    before Canonical dropped their CLA failure and came back to GNOME. T
    For many users, Unity will always be head and shoulders above Gnome in terms of workflow.
    It has never been a failure quality-wise. It's merely a cost cutting decision that has nothing to do with how good Unity was.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post
    What's worth to note videos in Firefox in Wayland are super smooth with valid Linux drivers (even 4k videos, but on fullHD monitor it probably doesn't matter, does it?). I also tried to move a window over a video to notice how CPU usage goes up.. but it didn't even move! Fedora 32, Open Source AMD graphic drivers and Wayalnd gives super smooth, hardware accelerated experience. Something unachievable with xorg and nvidia blobs.
    I am running NVidia blob with Xorg on a 4k screen using nvidia's recent prime render offload (this is a laptop) and can watch 4k hardware accelerated videos in youtube fine (using Brave with the necessary patches because Google doesn't want to support hardware accelearted video in Chromium generally).

Honestly stop spreading FUD.
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 14 July 2020, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    IsedondeVanvugt couldn’t be bothered to use the labels systems to correctly sort the merge requests.
    Oh, right, the bad guy adding the "Performance" label to his optimization MRs just to have the project lead come and chastise him because the numbers were too good and he couldn't be bothered to test the changes.

Leave a comment:

• Radtraveller
    replied
    I install stock centos 8 or rhel 8 and sooner rather than later there are “pauses” in getting any response at all..
    no keyboard or mouse input works, current windows stop responding all for 5-10 seconds at a time..

remove all gnome and install xfce and all the problems go away..

Until I see a gnome version that does not have this issue, the first thing I am doing now is installing without GUI and then adding a different one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X