Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Optimizations Continue In Striving For Faster 4K Experience

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME Optimizations Continue In Striving For Faster 4K Experience

    Phoronix: GNOME Optimizations Continue In Striving For Faster 4K Experience

    Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt has been engaged in several weeks now in optimizing GNOME for a faster 4K experience particularly when using Intel graphics but many of these optimizations pan out for other GPUs and resolutions too. Over the past week he's been working on yet more optimizations...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Opts-Continue

  • #2
    That's great news. I run a multi monitor 4k set up on my laptop and haven't been able to use GNOME daily because performance is abysmal on either of those two scenarios (multi monitor and 4k). I use sway as my daily driver which works great but I do miss a more full featured and integrated desktop experience.

    Comment


    • #3
      I know the pitfalls of premature optimization, and how it's the root of all evil, but the amount of significant performance improvements Daniel Van Vugt is realizing (and the pace at which he's doing it) makes me genuinely wonder if anyone at GNOME remotely cares about it. It might be a genuine lack of manpower & contributions, for all I know.

      I'm just happy Daniel is doing what he's doing, and that Canonical is supplying valuable upstream changes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by skerit View Post
        I'm just happy Daniel is doing what he's doing, and that Canonical is supplying valuable upstream changes.
        Just imagine what GNOME could have been today, if Canonical had embraced it sooner.

        Comment


        • #5
          They did embrace gnome early. I don't think people remember how bad early gnome 3 was. Bad enough for canonical to fork out the money to build their own shell.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by skerit View Post
            I know the pitfalls of premature optimization, and how it's the root of all evil, but the amount of significant performance improvements Daniel Van Vugt is realizing (and the pace at which he's doing it) makes me genuinely wonder if anyone at GNOME remotely cares about it. It might be a genuine lack of manpower & contributions, for all I know.
            Thats not "premature optimization", its fixing a lack of design (what to do when and where). GTK4 will finally have a scenegraph, so there is hope that one day Gnome will not need a 3Ghz Quadcore to not be slower than my 50Mhz Amiga 1200 when drawing the UI.

            Originally posted by skerit View Post
            I'm just happy Daniel is doing what he's doing, and that Canonical is supplying valuable upstream changes.
            Can agree to that.

            Comment


            • #7
              When Canonical creates Mir, Unity, Upstart, snap, etc the people sighs. 😩
              When Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt does optimizations for GNOME the crowd goes wild! 😲🤪🤘

              Comment


              • #8
                GNOME Shell 3.36.x was already an incredible branch for me (Wayland @ 4K). If this goes on, well...

                Kudos to Daniel & the Mutter core team.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ms178 View Post

                  Just imagine what GNOME could have been today, if Canonical had embraced it sooner.
                  Why? Unity is still better in the eyes of many.

                  You can't extrapolate a cost (or benefit) of opportunity here, the "what would have been". They might have taken an entirely different path anyway should they have seen the Gnome mess early on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    When Canonical creates Mir, Unity, Upstart, snap, etc the people sighs. 😩
                    When Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt does optimizations for GNOME the crowd goes wild! 😲🤪🤘
                    One is Canonical being a shitty player in the Foss community and creating divisions rather than working on solutions, the other is doing the opposite of that. That's true in pretty much every bit of software they've done except for Upstart

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X