Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Finally Is Work On Shipping Mozilla's WebRender For Some Linux Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Finally Is Work On Shipping Mozilla's WebRender For Some Linux Environments

Phoronix: There Finally Is Work On Shipping Mozilla's WebRender For Some Linux Environments

While Mozilla has been gradually enabling WebRender out-of-the-box in more Windows configurations with succeeding Firefox releases, up to now there hasn't been much visible effort in getting WebRender enabled out-of-the-box for any Linux configurations. But fortunately that is finally changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

look like Mozilla didn't treat linux as first-class but the most of userbase of firefox comes from Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      look like Mozilla didn't treat linux as first-class but the most of userbase of firefox comes from Linux
      I don't think that's possible, because I'm pretty sure there are still significantly more Firefox users than Linux desktop users.

Comment

One only has to take a quick glance at netmarketshare.com to see that this statement is a so called "alternative fact".

Comment

Comment

So far the OpenGL backend seems to work better than Webrender for me in Firefox Developer Wayland, it consumes less CPU power and feels more fluent. Tested on 2 Intel systems.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I don't think that's possible, because I'm pretty sure there are still like 20 times more Firefox users than Linux desktop users.
              Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                So far the OpenGL backend seems to work better than Webrender for me in Firefox Developer Wayland,
                Which OpenGL backend are you talking about?

Comment

I'd prefer some progress on switching to Vulkan/WSI.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Which OpenGL backend are you talking about?
                    As far as I know there is Basic (default), OpenGL and Webrender. I enabled only layers.acceleration.force-enabled without Webrender to see in about:support OpenGL as compositor.

Comment

Working...
                    X