Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.20 Seeing More Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.20 Seeing More Wayland Fixes

While KDE Plasma 5.19 is already in fairly good shape with regards to its Wayland session, Plasma 5.20 is looking to offer even better support for this native Wayland environment along with many other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'd be happier if they just fixed some krunner bugs.

Comment

kwin needs compositing pipeline overhaul, performance needs to be improved, users need more fluid UI experience.

Comment

Originally posted by mtk0 View Post
        i'd be happier if they just fixed some krunner bugs.
        They did. View the full blog post to see.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          kwin needs compositing pipeline overhaul, performance needs to be improved, users need more fluid UI experience.
          Plasma Wayland is the performance improvement. It's much much smoother. I'm really happy with the progress as of recently too, almost all of the blockers are finally being resolved.

Comment

Innocents like myself used to think that the Desktop Environments (DE) were separate from the display drivers. GNOME & KDE are competing to tame Wayland? Why no mention of the other DE's: XFCE, LXDE, LXQT, Cinnamon, MATE, Unity, Enlightenment, etc?
            > "linux wayland Xorg disadvantages", About 930,000 results (0.97 seconds)
            From my innocent view, it was supposedly a battle between GTK (GNOME) & QT. Both these codes kits were competing, with various upgrades & version incompatibilities.
            This then created the GNOME-3 break-aways: MATE & Cinnamon. KDE went the QT way.
            > web search: "gtk qt competition", About 722,000 results (0.65 seconds)
            > "KDE went the QT way", About 1,680,000 results (0.60 seconds)
            Seems that Wayland needs so much more development. Who will contribute more: GTK or QT? GNOME or KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              On my systems it's performance is flawless. I think you need to provide specifics when you make any such statements.
              I have an old skylake igp system, and run a FHD+2K monitor, and compositing never stutters that I can see. (Except when I'm compiling code, my system load going up to 20+, then things feel laggy and stuttery)

One thing I noticed is that a fully preemtable kernel will stutter way sooner than an opportunistic preemptable kernel. Which is inverse of expectations.

Comment

Working...
              X