Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTGui Panorama Photo Stitching Software Ported To Linux

Phoronix: PTGui Panorama Photo Stitching Software Ported To Linux

PTGui as one of the leading panorama photo stitching software programs on Windows and macOS has finally been ported to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Among photographers super serious about their panos, it seems PTGui has little proprietary competition these days. There are other proprietary tools that build panos, but they're limited in key ways. Basically PTGui is a de-facto monopolist within their niche. It's fairly expensive, and it's GUI is idiosyncratic.

So its Linux port is interesting timing given former competitor Kolor Autopano has not been around for some years. Autopano ran on Linux. (Some time after GoPro purchased Kolor, they killed off the entire Kolor product line.)

I guess that means there must be some level of residual Linux demand that is truly meaningful to small operations like PTGui — otherwise why would they bother?

And I suppose that demand is good news for photographers on Linux. (Here's hoping Wayland will implement color profile support this decade!)

Comment

Great news ! V12 looks nice.

Comment

I'm a Hugin guy, but nice anyway.

Comment

I am kinda wondering, wouldn't it be easy for the advanced photogrammetry packages to spit out panorama images? I mean they have pretty good image alignment and camera pose estimation, all that is missing is the image reprojection and blending which should be pretty easy.

Comment

Having worked with Hugin every now and then - how does PTGui (which I vaguely remember having used years and years ago on Windows) compare to that?

Comment

PTS now has a Hugin benchmark profile - https://twitter.com/phoronix/status/1280878607171301378
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't see much use for this software on any operating system.

In fact, the 10+ career photographers I know on a personal level do not even shoot panos, and at least one them specializes in landscape photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  I don't see much use for this software on any operating system.

In fact, the 10+ career photographers I know on a personal level do not even shoot panos, and at least one them specializes in landscape photography.
                  All visual effects companies use it for their hdris.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                    I am kinda wondering, wouldn't it be easy for the advanced photogrammetry packages to spit out panorama images? I mean they have pretty good image alignment and camera pose estimation, all that is missing is the image reprojection and blending which should be pretty easy.
                    That is already possible, for example Agisoft PhotoScan has functionality for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X