X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is 3.38.0 coming out? Any ETA?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

45 MB? Are you crazy? Anything above 1 MB is bloated!!!1! Therefore, KolibriOS ftw.
      Somebody port Commodore KERNAL to x86, and then it will just be 24 KB.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        GJS JavaScript now supports public class fields.
        This must obviously mean private class fields as there is no other visibility scope than public before this change. Every class field in JS is public by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
          When is 3.38.0 coming out? Any ETA?
          always wait for a .1 or .2 , never use a .0 of anything Gnome, you can Guarantee it'll be just as buggy , scroll down the page an you'll see the release schule . https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirtyseven

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

always wait for a .1 or .2 , never use a .0 of anything Gnome, you can Guarantee it'll be just as buggy , scroll down the page an you'll see the release schule . https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirtyseven
            This FUD and scaremongering. NPCs always tell you to wait for the next minor release. Simply not true.

With Gnome folks they don't always seem to backport fixes to even serious issues once they're done with the first couple of point releases. After that you simply have to wait and pray that the next major release is going to fix your issues. Once I reported an issue with mouse pointer being captured / locked (with 100 % reproduceability) and had to wait for two major releases for it to be fixed. They probably rewrote some code and it was fixed by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Port dwm to wayland, remove XWayland, remove X-only apps, or add native wayland support to these apps, and then the desktop would consume less memory, as there will be only dwm left, without bloated X server.
              Ironically, this has been a long term side project of mine. A small toy distro that is Wayland only, using a self-written WM/DE. Unfortunately systemd based, so I guess I get the bloat back :P

Cheers,
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

Ironically, this has been a long term side project of mine. A small toy distro that is Wayland only, using a self-written WM/DE. Unfortunately systemd based, so I guess I get the bloat back :P

Cheers,
                Mike
                Gentoo with openrc and dwm can allegedly get you down to around my target range of 45mb of memory usage when starting the session. That would address nearly all areas of bloat except for X. I'm not sure if you could get Gentoo/openrc running with wayland only, but that would be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                  This FUD and scaremongering. NPCs always tell you to wait for the next minor release. Simply not true.

With Gnome folks they don't always seem to backport fixes to even serious issues once they're done with the first couple of point releases. After that you simply have to wait and pray that the next major release is going to fix your issues. Once I reported an issue with mouse pointer being captured / locked (with 100 % reproduceability) and had to wait for two major releases for it to be fixed. They probably rewrote some code and it was fixed by accident.
                  its true, as far as i know a lot of people that i know in Fedora IRC channel always used to an still do wait for the Point release than getting the .0 release, which is why there are point releases to fix up Bugs in the .0 release. ,

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

Cheers,
                    Mike
                    Yep, systemd is a bigger beast.. however, systemd provides more functionality, and better seamless integration of various system components, which brings higher costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                      its true, as far as i know a lot of people that i know in Fedora IRC channel always used to an still do wait for the Point release than getting the .0 release, which is why there are point releases to fix up Bugs in the .0 release. ,
                      Obviously the people who never use the first major release also do not know what the quality of that release is, so stop listening to these scaremongers, ffs.

Comment

Working...
                      X