GNOME 3.37.3 Released With More Features, Code Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    dwm on Artix starts up for me with 90mb of memory in use, which is super bloated. I need to get it down to about 45mb. Anyone know if I could achieve that by switching to Gnome?
    ​​​​​​
    Sure it's possible. You'll just need to do few rounds of extensive optimizations. As many know, Gnome is full of inefficiencies that slow down performance like 50 to 90% per bug. For example this culling code that does not do any culling. Some icon grid code that redraws all unchanged glyphs on each frame on a 244 Hz 4k screen. It's usually also best to disable the Tracker service since it hogs all CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles
      Mate is nice but it tends to be buggy and KDE is just garbage.
      I guess it depends on which version of MATE and which distro. MATE has been rock-solid on Linux Mint for me for a long while now.

For the ultimate in minimalism, tinywm for teh winz!11! Otherwise it's Fluxbox and *that* is bloated, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Sure it's possible. You'll just need to do few rounds of extensive optimizations. As many know, Gnome is full of inefficiencies that slow down performance like 50 to 90% per bug. For example this culling code that does not do any culling. Some icon grid code that redraws all unchanged glyphs on each frame on a 244 Hz 4k screen. It's usually also best to disable the Tracker service since it hogs all CPUs.
        Even with KDE or whatever, someone can and will find a way to get 50-90% improvement of things there too often times it could be hunderds. Its how it goes. There's always something. These things are a part of being human. We suck. Even the people who think they're programming god's suck in the end. People do 40 years and still suck at it lol.

Programming is a pretty buggy not perfect thing. There's no getting around it. Its inherently so complex that it bites itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I thought the main concern was memory usage rather than download size? KolibriOS itself barely uses more than 1 MB of memory, so download size shouldn't matter (also because KolibriOS fits on a 1.44 MB floppy disk, so the download size is moot anyway).
          1.44 mb floppy disks are bloat. What I'd really like is to run my desktop from a small stack of punchcards.

Comment

Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
            For the ultimate in minimalism, tinywm for teh winz!11! Otherwise it's Fluxbox and *that* is bloated, if you ask me.
            tinywm is about 50 lines of code - now that's what I'm talking about! Need to put that dev in charge of the Kernel, Gnome, and systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              1.44 mb floppy disks are bloat. What I'd really like is to run my desktop from a small stack of punchcards.
              pfft, electromechanical computers are where stuff is really optimized

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

45 MB? Are you crazy? Anything above 1 MB is bloated!!!1! Therefore, KolibriOS ftw.
                Buffers consume lots of memory. For FullHD screen, 24bpp, it's 1920*1080*3B = 6MB per buffer. With double-buffered screen rendering, it's 12MB for screen buffers. However, applications draw to off-screen buffers, and if they are double-buffered, then it's another 12MB for applications. Therefore, it's minimum 24MB for buffers, and that's for single virtual desktop, single screen filled by applications, where applications don't overlay each other, and without any wallpaper.

Comment

You peasants with all your bloated OSes. I am running DOS 1.0 on a 5.25 in disk. It's a little heavy on the RAM for my needs, but still lower than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    pfft, electromechanical computers are where stuff is really optimized
                    I had to stop what I was doing and watch old videos of Zusie the Relay Computer on youtube. Good stuff - that's real computing. I'll bet Zusie could run Crysis.

Comment

"Jesus said 'I will rebuild this temple in three days.' I could make a compiler in 3 days."

Seriously, TempleOS FTW!

Comment

Working...
                      X