Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.37.3 Released With More Features, Code Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 3.37.3 Released With More Features, Code Improvements

GNOME 3.37.3 is out today as the newest development snapshot working towards the September release of GNOME 3.38...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....37.3-Released

No tagged release for Mutter or Shell yet. They landed another big performance MR for 4k users.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1347

Comment

dwm on Artix starts up for me with 90mb of memory in use, which is super bloated. I need to get it down to about 45mb. Anyone know if I could achieve that by switching to Gnome?
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        dwm
        ​​​​​​
        it's not using wayland so it's probably not a real thing

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          it's not using wayland so it's probably not a real thing
          Port dwm to wayland, remove XWayland, remove X-only apps, or add native wayland support to these apps, and then the desktop would consume less memory, as there will be only dwm left, without bloated X server.

Comment

dropping App Menu support from GtkApplication
            What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              dwm on Artix starts up for me with 90mb of memory in use, which is super bloated. I need to get it down to about 45mb. Anyone know if I could achieve that by switching to Gnome?
              ​​​​​​
              45 MB? Are you crazy? Anything above 1 MB is bloated!!!1! Therefore, KolibriOS ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Port dwm to wayland, remove XWayland, remove X-only apps, or add native wayland support to these apps, and then the desktop would consume less memory, as there will be only dwm left, without bloated X server.
                I've noticed that X is the main memory culprit. If I can get rid of X I'll be down in the memory range I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

45 MB? Are you crazy? Anything above 1 MB is bloated!!!1! Therefore, KolibriOS ftw.
                  The KolibriOS ISO download is 27.7mb - total disgusting bloat. I can get an ISO of TempleOS that's just 16.5mb.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

What does this mean?
                    Described at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initi...enu-Retirement

Comment

Working...
                    X