Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 RC1 Is Out For Testing This Skia+Vulkan Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.0 RC1 Is Out For Testing This Skia+Vulkan Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.0 RC1 Is Out For Testing This Skia+Vulkan Open-Source Office Suite

With just about one month to go until the official release, the first release candidate is out today of the LibreOffice 7.0 open-source, cross-platform office suite software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by uid313
    LibreOffice is that fat, ugly office woman with thick glasses.
    Microsoft Office is that hot, sexy secretary girl office with the short skirt and the sexy glasses,
    Pervert.
    Objectifying women.

Comment

LibreOffice is that fat, ugly office woman with thick glasses.
      Microsoft Office is that hot, sexy secretary girl office with the short skirt and the sexy glasses,
      You forgot to mention that this "fat, ugly office woman with thick glasses" is doing her work perfectly while the "hot, sexy secretary girl office with the short skirt and the sexy glasses" is nothing more than a flowerpot.

Comment

I have tested it on Windows 7 since it's easier and I don't want to mess my curent Linux LO installation.
        I have noticed that the installer is displayed in the wrong language (taken from the format setting) instead of english as the rest of Windows interface.
        While installing I have noticed some text saying that it's installing KB-something, which looks to me like an update for Windows, which I don't want any software to install updates by itself since I need to handpick them myself since Microsoft is backporting so much spyware and other crap from Windows 10 with them.
        This seemed very disappointing behavior from an open source software.
        If I want garbage from Microsoft I could just install Microsoft Word or other updates.
        Weirdly enough, I could not find the update in the list of installed updates sorting the list by installed date.
        Unfortunately I don't know which one was, like the number after KB- because it was displayed for too short.
        I hope they didn't made it depend on some Windows 10 garbage and installing on our Windows 7 to make it work and open our computers to spyware.

Other than that, I noticed that the font-size was too small from what I'm used with other programs on a 1080p screen.
        It would be nice if the installer would come at least with the english offline help included.

First start was a bit slow, but afterwards very fast.
        I think it was faster than previous versions.
        No visual glitches observed.

One last thing that I would change if I were them...
        I would tick also the first checkbox (Open Microsoft Word files or something like that) by default as the other if the installer detects that Microsoft Word is not installed on the computer, like in my case.

Hopefully in the future I have the time to put my distro's ISO on a pendrive and install it there for testing.
        Last edited by Danny3; 06 July 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Yeah Office blows left and right, we all know that

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            While installing I have noticed some text saying that it's installing KB-something, which looks to me like an update for Windows, which I don't want any software to install updates by itself since I need to handpick them myself since Microsoft is backporting so much spyware and other crap from Windows 10 with them.
            This seemed very disappointing behavior from an open source software.
            If I want garbage from Microsoft I could just install Microsoft Word or other updates.
            Weirdly enough, I could not find the update in the list of installed updates sorting the list by installed date.
            Unfortunately I don't know which one was, like the number after KB- because it was displayed for too short.
            I hope they didn't made it depend on some Windows 10 garbage and installing on our Windows 7 to make it work and open our computers to spyware.
            Yeah it must certainly be that LO has become a MS sockpuppet and is pushing spyware updates, it can't possibly be that LO needs that to work as it corrects some issues in the OS libraries or something.
            I mean windows certainly never had bugs that needed genuine non-spyware patching in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

You forgot to mention that this "fat, ugly office woman with thick glasses" is doing her work perfectly while the "hot, sexy secretary girl office with the short skirt and the sexy glasses" is nothing more than a flowerpot.
              And we all know how she got the job, not by administrative ability, rather by using a couple of false assets that will have to be sorted out on Botched in a couple of years.
              Last edited by Slartifartblast; 06 July 2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I'm glad LibreOffice continues to be updated, for those few occasions that I actually need a nicely formatted doc. Other than that I try to avoid using it. Text files created with Vim that I can grep are a lot simpler and useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yeah it must certainly be that LO has become a MS sockpuppet and is pushing spyware updates, it can't possibly be that LO needs that to work as it corrects some issues in the OS libraries or something.
                  I mean windows certainly never had bugs that needed genuine non-spyware patching in the past.
                  When I install open source software I expect to install only open source software, not also closed source.
                  I only expect them to be open why their software would not work on a clean untouched Windows 7 SP1 installation, what libraries it needs and which updates it wants to install so I can have a chance to search more info about them, like if they contain spyware or other unwanted stuff.
                  There were non-spyware patching in the past, but ever since Windows 10 cam out, Microsoft has pushed dozens of updates with spyware inside.
                  I just want to be informed and I don't think that's too much to ask for a open source office suite.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                    I'm glad LibreOffice continues to be updated, for those few occasions that I actually need a nicely formatted doc. Other than that I try to avoid using it. Text files created with Vim that I can grep are a lot simpler and useful to me.
                    Same with me. Since there are Markdown interpreters I only seldom need Rich Text. But LibreOffice is still my favourite Rich Text editor, it has never failed me just like StarOffice and OpenOffice haven't before.

Comment

Working...
                    X