Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    @pal666
    Let's hope they don't pull the plug on xorg before Wayland is actually usable.
    I did use gentoo from 2003 to 2020, I actually switched less than a month ago.

I did try some other distrib on my system and I did consider Fedora F32.
    Fedora F32 discalified after less than two hours : Reason : Wayland.

* Mouse cursor getting stuck
    * Mouse cursor disaspering
    * crash
    * Game could not detect resolution of my main display (I have a 4K screen surrounded by 3 HD screens) and none of my game would allow 4K resolution.

Video card is a RX5700 and it work just fine on Xorg since months.

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

Finally ended installing Artix (OpenRC flavor with Plasma).
    Strange. Have been using Wayland-only for many months now and i have no issues whatsoever. Even in commercial video games most of the time things work fine. Only bad ports have issues with Wayland that are mostly solveable. In my experience, Wayland is rock solid.

PS: Oh, i see you installed Plasma in the end... People, when you tells us your Wayland woes, please add FIRST that you are a KDE user....... KDE sucks on Wayland and will forever suck because it is a Qt tech-demo and Qt does not care for a linux-only protocol. Same as WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      Nobody gives two shits about what you do once the twenty-million other ex-Firefox users come rushing back in. This was, of course, obvious to everyone else.
      Dude, calm your tits.

Comment

In openSUSE the VA-API hardware acceleration on X11 is enabled by default, until a few months ago there were some problems, but for some months now it has been working very well.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Strange. Have been using Wayland-only for many months now and i have no issues whatsoever. Even in commercial video games most of the time things work fine. Only bad ports have issues with Wayland that are mostly solveable. In my experience, Wayland is rock solid.

PS: Oh, i see you installed Plasma in the end... People, when you tells us your Wayland woes, please add FIRST that you are a KDE user....... KDE sucks on Wayland and will forever suck because it is a Qt tech-demo and Qt does not care for a linux-only protocol. Same as WINE.
          If you did read what I wrote, I did try Fedore F32 in it's supported and official way to do, I installed it and tryed it as-is, with Wayland and that adbomination named gnome and did not change anything it the way to use it. I could have re-adapted to gnome (stopped using it when they released gnome 3) but non, I wanted something that is usable by default from a distrib (ie: 100% supported). I could have find solution for the problem maybe, but that was not the point. I went away from Gentoo because I don't have time to fsck it anymore, it's the same for any other distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
            Do you use only softwares that have the better market share?
            no, i actually post this from firefox. but we were discussing how many users are affected by firefox fixes, and it directly depends on firefox marketshare

Comment

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

Finally ended installing Artix (OpenRC flavor with Plasma).
              i'm sure fedora xorg is better supported than artix plasma

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm sure fedora xorg is better supported than artix plasma
                Well, I did not have time to dig the net for more info (partly why I stopped using gentoo, my time is valuable and so I decided to change for something that "just work" so I don't waste more of it).

Fedora do not "just work" it crash.

It could be because of the RX5700 and I would not be surprised (everyone know how much drivers issue we got with that one, since launch). But if it's the case and that Fedora would support Xorg much better than Artix[Arch], then they would have a simple video hardware detection run to simply failback to Xorg when know hardware that don't do well on wayland is detected......... Instead of forcing something broken by default and burying the line to use Xorg in some display manager config file. I got to use my laptop to find the solution about how to switch back to xorg and got to use the first TTY to go there change it because it was simply unusable on wayland..

Artix work by default on my system, Fedora don't. End of the discution.

Comment

Instead of forcing something broken by default and burying the line to use Xorg in some display manager config file
                  it's in the cogwheel on login screen
                  Artix work by default on my system, Fedora don't
                  for some definition of "work"

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it's in the cogwheel on login screen
                    When he says "display manager config file": Manjaro, and therefore probably arch, hard disables wayland in the gdm3 config file, so he is correct. On a default manjaro gnome install, the cog therefore does not show a wayland option.

Having spent a few days using Wayland gnome on Fedora (on a pure intel laptop), I think the manjaro default is poor. For me, Wayland is very close to being awesome. Zoom works (except for allowing a remote user to take control of the host), screen recording via the gnome extension EasyScreencast is great (choose a particular monitor or rectangular area), ksnip screen shots work (if installed via .rpm, the snap didn't work), and Firefox in native wayland is a revelation. Even the 'blurring' of non-Wayland apps is not too bad. If JetBrains made its products Wayland native, I would switch my main desktop (with AMD graphics). Note tlat screen shots, screen sharing ... these are things that Wayland has a reputation for breaking, but it's mostly not true any longer.

As for Firefox: it is very awesome again, the containers feature is so much better than Chromium profiles. A few days ago after I solved how to make bookmarks open in specific containers (meaning I can book mark gmail and personal gmail/calendar/gdrive for instant access to work and personal containers, thank you https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...l-in-container) , it's my default browser again, after five or six years of Chrome/Chromium.
                    Last edited by timrichardson; 08 July 2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

This made me finally switch from Chrome to Firefox. I switched from Firefox to Chrome many years ago when Firefox was going through some performance issues and Chrome was noticeable better. Now things are the other way around. Chrome is becoming slow and pegs with CPU at 100% sometimes, this news was the last drop to make me switch to Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                      X