Firefox 80 To Support VA-API Acceleration On X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curfew View Post
    They switched to Chrome because Firefox was shit. Now Firefox is getting better and the same users will switch back to Firefox unless Chrome catches up. Simple.
    everything works in powerpoint. wake me up when firefox regains marketshare in reality

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Apparently there's a language barrier here. What I meant is, 7nm CPU is more power efficient than say 40nm CPU (original RPi process node).
      what i'm trying to say is that rpi does not do video decoding on cpu. that's why comparing their process nodes is silly. compare process nodes of your cpu and some videocard and think why you can't play modern game without videocard
      In a similar way, 7nm GPUs are more power efficient than 40nm GPUs and 7nm DSPs are more power efficient than 40nm DSPs. So the advances in process node technology can benefit all types of video decoding.
      sure. new rpi can have faster decoding than old rpi. new intel cpu can have faster decoding than old intel cpu. and new intel cpu can have worse decoding than old rpi because cpus suck at video decoding
      Irrelevant. I wasn't claiming anything like that. My claim was, if a 8 year old $25 computer could decode H.264, a modern $1000 computer should easily be able to decode the same video efficiently, thanks to multiple improvements in hardware technology.
      my claim is you are imbecile who can't understand that specialized circuits exist exactly because they are faster than modern $1000 computers
      Intel's latest desktop arch (Comet Lake) is still at 14nm.
      exactly, intel is selling you 6 year old shit
      Not really - the modern notebooks are so powerful you can do everything the original RPi does without any kind of hardware acceleration..
      moron, your notebook can't be both faster than rpi at videodecoding and using 70% of cpu for 720p

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        They switched to Chrome because Firefox was shit. Now Firefox is getting better and the same users will switch back to Firefox unless Chrome catches up. Simple.

Firefox has taken huge steps forward since Fx 75 and finally I can feel satisfied personally.
        I'm one of the "same users" and I'm not going to switch back to Firefox as Vivaldi fulfills all of my needs (and more, once M3 will land, which could be any day now according to Jon).

So no, not *every* former Firefox user will switch back.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          That still works out to 15*1920*1080 or ~31MFLOPS every frame (~16ms). A CPU shouldn't even notice that, especially with SIMD.
          Of course, it's not just the transformation, so I'd accept a 5-10% CPU overhead. Anything on top of that, just screams of sloppy programming somewhere in the stack.
          Uhm, no... this is just plain wrong. FLOPS means FLoating-point Operations Per Second and the burden does not become less, just because you look at a smaller time-interval (hint: the CPU will also only have 16ms worth of processing time per frame ).

Yes, SIMD and other tricks helps - but it doesn't change the fact that video processing is brutally expensive and dedicated HW processing can be much more efficient than the CPU.

Comment

@pal666
            Let's hope they don't pull the plug on xorg before Wayland is actually usable.
            I did use gentoo from 2003 to 2020, I actually switched less than a month ago.

I did try some other distrib on my system and I did consider Fedora F32.
            Fedora F32 discalified after less than two hours : Reason : Wayland.

* Mouse cursor getting stuck
            * Mouse cursor disaspering
            * crash
            * Game could not detect resolution of my main display (I have a 4K screen surrounded by 3 HD screens) and none of my game would allow 4K resolution.

Video card is a RX5700 and it work just fine on Xorg since months.

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

Finally ended installing Artix (OpenRC flavor with Plasma).

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
              @pal666
              Let's hope they don't pull the plug on xorg before Wayland is actually usable.
              I did use gentoo from 2003 to 2020, I actually switched less than a month ago.

I did try some other distrib on my system and I did consider Fedora F32.
              Fedora F32 discalified after less than two hours : Reason : Wayland.

* Mouse cursor getting stuck
              * Mouse cursor disaspering
              * crash
              * Game could not detect resolution of my main display (I have a 4K screen surrounded by 3 HD screens) and none of my game would allow 4K resolution.

Video card is a RX5700 and it work just fine on Xorg since months.

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

Finally ended installing Artix (OpenRC flavor with Plasma).
              To some extent plug has already been pulled on xorg a year quite a long time ago. Ask yourself when the latest release branched from master has been done.

Comment

After all, who's developers team did those changes for Wayland and xorg? I use Fedora 32 with Wayland with latest Firefox on weak AMD E-350 system and enabling vaapi allowed me to play fhd videos on yt with ~70% CPU load. Previously it was not possible with more than 70% frames dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  This is about using libVA, which is hooked up to UVD on AMD chips and whatever hardware other drivers expose through it on their hardware. So yes, it's "real".
                  That's all I was saying, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    gpus have uvd or something similar just like apus. maybe by gpu you mean shaders
                    Yes, something like that. There are ways of leveraging a gpu for added efficiency and processing power, but targeting the uvd or equivalent is the most ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      I'm one of the "same users" and I'm not going to switch back to Firefox as Vivaldi fulfills all of my needs (and more, once M3 will land, which could be any day now according to Jon).

So no, not *every* former Firefox user will switch back.
                      Nobody gives two shits about what you do once the twenty-million other ex-Firefox users come rushing back in. This was, of course, obvious to everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                      X