X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RavFX
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Strange. Have been using Wayland-only for many months now and i have no issues whatsoever. Even in commercial video games most of the time things work fine. Only bad ports have issues with Wayland that are mostly solveable. In my experience, Wayland is rock solid.

PS: Oh, i see you installed Plasma in the end... People, when you tells us your Wayland woes, please add FIRST that you are a KDE user....... KDE sucks on Wayland and will forever suck because it is a Qt tech-demo and Qt does not care for a linux-only protocol. Same as WINE.
    If you did read what I wrote, I did try Fedore F32 in it's supported and official way to do, I installed it and tryed it as-is, with Wayland and that adbomination named gnome and did not change anything it the way to use it. I could have re-adapted to gnome (stopped using it when they released gnome 3) but non, I wanted something that is usable by default from a distrib (ie: 100% supported). I could have find solution for the problem maybe, but that was not the point. I went away from Gentoo because I don't have time to fsck it anymore, it's the same for any other distribution.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    In openSUSE the VA-API hardware acceleration on X11 is enabled by default, until a few months ago there were some problems, but for some months now it has been working very well.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Nobody gives two shits about what you do once the twenty-million other ex-Firefox users come rushing back in. This was, of course, obvious to everyone else.
    Dude, calm your tits.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    @pal666
    Let's hope they don't pull the plug on xorg before Wayland is actually usable.
    I did use gentoo from 2003 to 2020, I actually switched less than a month ago.

I did try some other distrib on my system and I did consider Fedora F32.
    Fedora F32 discalified after less than two hours : Reason : Wayland.

* Mouse cursor getting stuck
    * Mouse cursor disaspering
    * crash
    * Game could not detect resolution of my main display (I have a 4K screen surrounded by 3 HD screens) and none of my game would allow 4K resolution.

Video card is a RX5700 and it work just fine on Xorg since months.

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

Finally ended installing Artix (OpenRC flavor with Plasma).
    Strange. Have been using Wayland-only for many months now and i have no issues whatsoever. Even in commercial video games most of the time things work fine. Only bad ports have issues with Wayland that are mostly solveable. In my experience, Wayland is rock solid.

PS: Oh, i see you installed Plasma in the end... People, when you tells us your Wayland woes, please add FIRST that you are a KDE user....... KDE sucks on Wayland and will forever suck because it is a Qt tech-demo and Qt does not care for a linux-only protocol. Same as WINE.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    I'm one of the "same users" and I'm not going to switch back to Firefox as Vivaldi fulfills all of my needs (and more, once M3 will land, which could be any day now according to Jon).

So no, not *every* former Firefox user will switch back.
    Nobody gives two shits about what you do once the twenty-million other ex-Firefox users come rushing back in. This was, of course, obvious to everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    gpus have uvd or something similar just like apus. maybe by gpu you mean shaders
    Yes, something like that. There are ways of leveraging a gpu for added efficiency and processing power, but targeting the uvd or equivalent is the most ideal.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    This is about using libVA, which is hooked up to UVD on AMD chips and whatever hardware other drivers expose through it on their hardware. So yes, it's "real".
    That's all I was saying, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• foxhound
    replied
    After all, who's developers team did those changes for Wayland and xorg? I use Fedora 32 with Wayland with latest Firefox on weak AMD E-350 system and enabling vaapi allowed me to play fhd videos on yt with ~70% CPU load. Previously it was not possible with more than 70% frames dropped.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    @pal666

* crash
    * Game could not detect resolution of my main display (I have a 4K screen surrounded by 3 HD screens) and none of my game would allow 4K resolution.

PS : Don't tell me that I can switch back to Xorg on Fedora, I know, but I wanted a distrib usable in his default and supported mode.

To some extent plug has already been pulled on xorg a year quite a long time ago. Ask yourself when the latest release branched from master has been done.

Leave a comment:

• RavFX
    replied
    @pal666

* crash

Leave a comment:

Working...
X