GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
    50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
    Let me guess, NVIDIA? RX560, i5 2500 (CPU from 2011!) and it's about 12% of 1 core, and there is an additional few percent for FullHD at 60fps screen recording - sorry about that.

Proof: https://streamable.com/ury9jc or https://youtu.be/G5BJtWeCc1o
    Last edited by gedgon; 03 July 2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

I did manage to setup different framerate support with Compton, [...]
      A compositor on Xorg cannot do this at all.

Comment

Why there's no forum thread regarding variable refresh rate support? Is someone jealous? Oh, and it's Wayland only feature.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough
          Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
          50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
          So I just tried the same thing and didn’t see more than 20% cpu usage. This is on Intel graphics and Wayland though.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
            i7-7700k with nvidia on debian bullseye and i get 29% tops in gnome - xfce got 60% tops.
            That is still waaaay too much. Now, I'm not one of the "every MB or Hz counts!!!" guys, but 29% just for moving a window is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Looks like FUD or at least misleading. Can't reproduce that on Fedora 32. CPU usage on top shows 17-20%ish (AMD GPU).
              Always funny when people say stuff like that. That's like saying "I can't reproduce COVID-19, so it's FUD".

Don't get me wrong: I'm NOT saying the person who created that video is right, I'm just saying that a bug doesn't have to hit everyone, so calling it "FUD" is overreacting.

Comment

I'd be surprised if it was substantially above ~3% with Nvidia & kwin-lowlatency.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  I'd be surprised if it was substantially above ~3% with Nvidia & kwin-lowlatency.
                  In fact, even with kwin_x11 (i.e. not lowlatency) on Deepin 20, I cannot get it above 5% and only if I dramatically shake a window while moving. With normal moving, it's about 2%.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Always funny when people say stuff like that. That's like saying "I can't reproduce COVID-19, so it's FUD".

Don't get me wrong: I'm NOT saying the person who created that video is right, I'm just saying that a bug doesn't have to hit everyone, so calling it "FUD" is overreacting.
                    What a stupid analogy. You clearly don't know a thing about infectiology.

It's FUD because he didn't disclose his hardware and drivers, and yet assume everyone is or will be affected by that bug if they use GNOME, which is the very definition of FUD. If you read the rest of this thread, you'll see I'm not the only one who questioned it.

"GNOME will use 100% CPU under this or that condition, I reported a bug" = correct
                    "GNOME sucks, it will abuse your CPU no matter what, use our minimalist/non-systemd/redpilled niche distro" = FUD, and also propaganda.
                    Last edited by angrypie; 03 July 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.
                      I've always been a minimalist. But 800mb is really not that horrible. Start up a browser to see what happens.

800mb isn't good but it's not terrible either. Look at what other OS-es take after boot. Gnome was never meant to be lightweight. It's not supposed to be heavyweight either (we have KDE for that :P) but it's supposed to be featureful.

Comment

Working...
                      X