No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't care if GNOME is using a lot of RAM, as long as it actually doing something impressive with it. It should excel in some area be it performance or features.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      absolute latest, fastest hardware.
      Yeah right, Athlon X4 880K/16GiB DDR3 RAM is latest and fastest but FYI I don't have any problem with the fact that it's old. GNOME doesn't require the latest technology to run.
      Last edited by Klassic Six; 02 July 2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
        50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
        Ok, but how much if it's running in Wayland?

Comment

- The GNOME Shell support around indicating apps that should run on discrete GPUs for hybrid/multi-GPU setups.

I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
            I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.
            The easy answer is to fully test the scenario running a live media containing the snapshot version on Gnome 3.38, submit the concise detailed result to the bug report. Chance is your issue will be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

It will directly be enabled after landing - there's no config flag. Only affects the Wayland session however.
              Ehmm bad,... I use Xorg session, because I need screensharing. Why they don't start focusing on Wayland's usability, first?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                I use Xorg session, because I need screensharing.
                Screensharing, screencast, as well as remote-desktop works, thanks to pipewire. If not, ask your app development to implement it.

Why they don't start focusing on Wayland's usability, first?
                Think about it. You're commenting on a "wayland usability features", that they should focusing on wayland usability first. Thats what they do for the last 5 years. Mostly background work. If you like it or hate it, wayland is where the priority is. X11 is only a compatibility layer. Nothing to extend support even more.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Screensharing, screencast, as well as remote-desktop works, thanks to pipewire. If not, ask your app development to implement it.
                  Pipewire is mutlimedia framework for GNOME. It's not some kind of standard API for screensharing and screencasting. Or, is it? If it's a standard, then it makes sense to address this issue at Slack's developers. However, I doubt they will be implementing specific solution for (currently) very-niche Linux+GNOME+Wayland combination.

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                  Think about it. You're commenting on a "wayland usability features", that they should focusing on wayland usability first. Thats what they do for the last 5 years. Mostly background work. If you like it or hate it, wayland is where the priority is. X11 is only a compatibility layer. Nothing to extend support even more.
                  I didn't imply, that they should focus on X11 (although, it would be nice to have this feature for both systems). However, to be able to productively work, there are certain features, which are considered as basic. So, good performance won't motivate developers working in teams to switch to Wayland, when they need convenient screensharing support out-of-the-box.

Comment

Pipewire is mutlimedia [sic] framework for GNOME. It's not some kind of standard API for screensharing and screencasting. Or, is it? If it's a standard, then it makes sense to address this issue at Slack's developers. However, I doubt they will be implementing specific solution for (currently) very-niche Linux+GNOME+Wayland combination.
                    From reading the blurbs at pipewire.org I strongly suspect that screen sharing and screen casting functionality will be one of the use cases where using pipewire will eventually provide an obvious benefit to Linux application developers.

But we shall see as the Zen Master says.
                    Last edited by ermo; 03 July 2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Pipewire is mutlimedia framework for GNOME. It's not some kind of standard API for screensharing and screencasting. Or, is it? If it's a standard, then it makes sense to address this issue at Slack's developers. However, I doubt they will be implementing specific solution for (currently) very-niche Linux+GNOME+Wayland combination.

I didn't imply, that they should focus on X11 (although, it would be nice to have this feature for both systems). However, to be able to productively work, there are certain features, which are considered as basic. So, good performance won't motivate developers working in teams to switch to Wayland, when they need convenient screensharing support out-of-the-box.
                      I assume you talk about the slack app, which again uses electron and thus is based on chromium. Well, pipewire support in chromium is already there but still experimental, proper wayland support in general is coming: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...land-Next-Year

So thinks are coming together

Comment

Working...
                      X