GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    More good stuff is coming soon. First they need to land this massive MR that allows different frame rates per screen.
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1285
    That's cool feature, if it's supported by default. I did manage to setup different framerate support with Compton, but it required some amount of configuration tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Kids watch, the dinosaurs are back: this is an andyprough and this is a tildearrow; they are millions of years old and use floppy disks, care about a few MB of RAM, and a few percent use of a core.

For the topic on question, this "test" would never go beyond 20% core load on a modern CPU even with 4K display. Also, this was improved in Gnome recently (but may not be in Ubuntu, yet).
      OK, before you call me a dinosaur:

- I don't use floppy disks. Heck, I have never used one in my life, and if I have, it's for being curious, and even so I still don't.
      - I don't mind memory usage unless it is a lot.
      - I need processing power. Stop being so unoptimal. If it can be made faster without sacrifices, then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

That's cool feature, if it's supported by default. I did manage to setup different framerate support with Compton, but it required some amount of configuration tweaking.
        It will directly be enabled after landing - there's no config flag. Only affects the Wayland session however.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Amazing. 50% CPU usage to move a window.

They got no idea how the other good desktop did it without wasting CPU.
          Looks like FUD or at least misleading. Can't reproduce that on Fedora 32. CPU usage on top shows 17-20%ish (AMD GPU).

Comment

So for Ubuntu to switch back to GNOME was not a bad idea after all. Daniel van Vugt has done a phenomenal job.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what more lands during the GNOME 3.38 cycle ahead of that desktop update due out in September.
              Default ScreenSaver, Live Walls ?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
                50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
                It's a stupid comparison and so what if GNOME use 800MiB of RAM?? Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.

Comment

3.38 looks like will be such an amazing release, even better than 3.36 and 3.34, and I thought that could not be possible

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                    Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.
                    It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.
                      I don't think you can get a usable desktop with less than 4GB of RAM anyway, at least not a graphical one with a Chromium-like browser or even Firefox. Disabling Javascript might work though, to some extent.

CPU power is kinda moot if you have a moderately fast GPU. Any Intel IGP is more than capable of driving a modern composited desktop, and even a Llano APU might be grossly overspecced for such task.

Comment

Working...
                      X