Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

The GNOME Shell and Mutter have seen a lot of work come together nicely over the past two months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
    50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
      Amazing. 50% CPU usage to move a window.

They got no idea how the other good desktop did it without wasting CPU.

Comment

Hopefully Gnome won't break copy-pate this year :/

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Hopefully Gnome won't break copy-pate this year :/
          I can't believe I used that version for 6 whole months and nobody fixed it. I thought my keyboard was broken.

Comment

Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today ...
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Amazing. 50% CPU usage to move a window. They got no idea how the other good desktop did it without wasting CPU.
            Kids watch, the dinosaurs are back: this is an andyprough and this is a tildearrow; they are millions of years old and use floppy disks, care about a few MB of RAM, and a few percent use of a core.

For the topic on question, this "test" would never go beyond 20% core load on a modern CPU even with 4K display. Also, this was improved in Gnome recently (but may not be in Ubuntu, yet).

Comment

Nvidia blob?

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post

I can't believe I used that version for 6 whole months and nobody fixed it. I thought my keyboard was broken.
                I was mind blown when people still voted it the best release in 10 years. https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/12/...release-decade I would have taken literally any other version, I even switched to Ubuntu when 9.04 came out so not exaggerating. Initially 20.04 also had this bug with some version and it only got fixed about 2-3 months after the release.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Nvidia blob?
                  It might be, but when I skimmed the video I did not see him revealing his graphics card. The number of times this is the case its astounding.

I wish nVidia users were as vocal as Arch users. It would leave this so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

It might be, but when I skimmed the video I did not see him revealing his graphics card. The number of times this is the case its astounding.

I wish nVidia users were as vocal as Arch users. It would leave this so much easier.
                    I think it has to be, my RX580 makes the CPU go up to a whopping 12%. This is Ryzen 7 but the 1st gen one, I doubt it's THAT much more performant to whatever he was testing on a single core...

Comment

Working...
                    X