Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
    50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
    It's a stupid comparison and so what if GNOME use 800MiB of RAM?? Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.

    Comment


    • #22
      3.38 looks like will be such an amazing release, even better than 3.36 and 3.34, and I thought that could not be possible

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
        Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.
        It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.
          I don't think you can get a usable desktop with less than 4GB of RAM anyway, at least not a graphical one with a Chromium-like browser or even Firefox. Disabling Javascript might work though, to some extent.

          CPU power is kinda moot if you have a moderately fast GPU. Any Intel IGP is more than capable of driving a modern composited desktop, and even a Llano APU might be grossly overspecced for such task.

          Comment


          • #25
            I don't care if GNOME is using a lot of RAM, as long as it actually doing something impressive with it. It should excel in some area be it performance or features.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              absolute latest, fastest hardware.
              Yeah right, Athlon X4 880K/16GiB DDR3 RAM is latest and fastest but FYI I don't have any problem with the fact that it's old. GNOME doesn't require the latest technology to run.
              Last edited by Klassic Six; 07-02-2020, 06:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
                50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
                Ok, but how much if it's running in Wayland?

                Comment


                • #28
                  - The GNOME Shell support around indicating apps that should run on discrete GPUs for hybrid/multi-GPU setups.

                  I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Med_ View Post
                    I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.
                    The easy answer is to fully test the scenario running a live media containing the snapshot version on Gnome 3.38, submit the concise detailed result to the bug report. Chance is your issue will be addressed.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by treba View Post

                      It will directly be enabled after landing - there's no config flag. Only affects the Wayland session however.
                      Ehmm bad,... I use Xorg session, because I need screensharing. Why they don't start focusing on Wayland's usability, first?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X