GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
    50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
    It's a stupid comparison and so what if GNOME use 800MiB of RAM?? Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.

Comment

3.38 looks like will be such an amazing release, even better than 3.36 and 3.34, and I thought that could not be possible

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
        Nowadays every notebook/PCs have at least 8GiB of RAM.
        It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.

Comment

It's interesting how Gnome users don't even hide their disdain for anyone not running the absolute latest, fastest hardware.
          I don't think you can get a usable desktop with less than 4GB of RAM anyway, at least not a graphical one with a Chromium-like browser or even Firefox. Disabling Javascript might work though, to some extent.

CPU power is kinda moot if you have a moderately fast GPU. Any Intel IGP is more than capable of driving a modern composited desktop, and even a Llano APU might be grossly overspecced for such task.

Comment

I don't care if GNOME is using a lot of RAM, as long as it actually doing something impressive with it. It should excel in some area be it performance or features.

Comment

absolute latest, fastest hardware.
              Yeah right, Athlon X4 880K/16GiB DDR3 RAM is latest and fastest but FYI I don't have any problem with the fact that it's old. GNOME doesn't require the latest technology to run.
              Last edited by Klassic Six; 07-02-2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Brutal critique of Ubuntu 20.04 and Gnome today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez8qPipGbc
                50% cpu usage just to move a small window around.
                Ok, but how much if it's running in Wayland?

Comment

- The GNOME Shell support around indicating apps that should run on discrete GPUs for hybrid/multi-GPU setups.

I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
                    I am somewhat concerned by this. I have a multi-seat desktop. Lately there has been a trend with games trying to use the “secondary” GPU, with the idea that it must be the fast one. Well, not necessarily. I have two identical cards, one for each seat. This has only led to sluggish performance (at best) and lockups (at worst). I hope it is going to be smart and not try to do this sort of thing in a multi-seat setting.
                    The easy answer is to fully test the scenario running a live media containing the snapshot version on Gnome 3.38, submit the concise detailed result to the bug report. Chance is your issue will be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

It will directly be enabled after landing - there's no config flag. Only affects the Wayland session however.
                      Ehmm bad,... I use Xorg session, because I need screensharing. Why they don't start focusing on Wayland's usability, first?

Comment

Working...
                      X