GNOME Shell + Mutter Off To A Good Start For Summer 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Amazing. 50% CPU usage to move a window.

They got no idea how the other good desktop did it without wasting CPU.
    Well in that vid, he doesnt mention his system specs and whether mx and ubuntu are using the same machine or one/both are in VM. Just tried his test on my machine
    i7-7700k with nvidia on debian bullseye and i get 29% tops in gnome - xfce got 60% tops.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

It might be, but when I skimmed the video I did not see him revealing his graphics card. The number of times this is the case its astounding.

I wish nVidia users were as vocal as Arch users. It would leave this so much easier.
      I think it has to be, my RX580 makes the CPU go up to a whopping 12%. This is Ryzen 7 but the 1st gen one, I doubt it's THAT much more performant to whatever he was testing on a single core...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        More good stuff is coming soon. First they need to land this massive MR that allows different frame rates per screen.
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1285
        That's cool feature, if it's supported by default. I did manage to setup different framerate support with Compton, but it required some amount of configuration tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Kids watch, the dinosaurs are back: this is an andyprough and this is a tildearrow; they are millions of years old and use floppy disks, care about a few MB of RAM, and a few percent use of a core.

For the topic on question, this "test" would never go beyond 20% core load on a modern CPU even with 4K display. Also, this was improved in Gnome recently (but may not be in Ubuntu, yet).
          OK, before you call me a dinosaur:

- I don't use floppy disks. Heck, I have never used one in my life, and if I have, it's for being curious, and even so I still don't.
          - I don't mind memory usage unless it is a lot.
          - I need processing power. Stop being so unoptimal. If it can be made faster without sacrifices, then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

That's cool feature, if it's supported by default. I did manage to setup different framerate support with Compton, but it required some amount of configuration tweaking.
            It will directly be enabled after landing - there's no config flag. Only affects the Wayland session however.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Amazing. 50% CPU usage to move a window.

They got no idea how the other good desktop did it without wasting CPU.
              Looks like FUD or at least misleading. Can't reproduce that on Fedora 32. CPU usage on top shows 17-20%ish (AMD GPU).

Comment

Genesis 1:1 “Never trust benchmarks from a guy who talks about distrowatch’s Page Hit Ranking”

Comment

So for Ubuntu to switch back to GNOME was not a bad idea after all. Daniel van Vugt has done a phenomenal job.

Comment

The big MR has landed. Impressive work from many reviewers.
                    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1285

Bugs are 100% guaranteed but this unlocks other dev’s MRs.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what more lands during the GNOME 3.38 cycle ahead of that desktop update due out in September.
                      Default ScreenSaver, Live Walls ?

Comment

Working...
                      X