• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Overall a great browser.

Just too bad a few things are missing:
    • Dialog element
    • system-ui font-family
    • Private class fields
    Man, I really thought you'd stop whining after Firefox implemented date and time pickers. Joke's on me, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
      To reiterate: They don't want!
      Not a matter of will, it's a matter of resources. At Mozilla we're stretched thin as it is; we keep improving the Linux port but there's only so much time available to do stuff. That being said patches are always welcome, I hang out on our #introduction channel and I'm glad to help new contributors.

Comment

Why don't you want to do the work? If massive amounts of work are not a reason - well, then I suppose you have no excuse to complain here

Comment

Dude, yes, they do not want. They are not your employees. They don't care about X11 at all, and they are under no obligation to care about it. If you want it this badly, program it yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. Or else stop whining. X11 is legacy, it is old, and it is being abandoned. Get on Wayland or stop whining.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Man, I really thought you'd stop whining after Firefox implemented date and time pickers. Joke's on me, I guess.
            It took crazy long time for Firefox to implement date and time pickers. I love Firefox but sometimes it feels like the new Internet Explorer.
            Firefox still does not support input type "week", "month" and "datetime-local". 😢

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It took crazy long time for Firefox to implement date and time pickers. I love Firefox but sometimes it feels like the new Internet Explorer.
              Firefox still does not support input type "week", "month" and "datetime-local". 😢
              I feel for you, but you have to realize, these posts can easily be substituted with a bot that scans caniuse.com, finds something not yet supported and posts back here. That's how useful they are.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                I tried all the steps and forced Youtube to deliver h264 video. Basically the only missing step was, I had not force enabled DMABUF. Now I did that. On Gnome3/Wayland the Firefox process shows 30% load on all cores and around 70% under a single Firefox process in top. The load increases if there's some floating advertisement on top of the video layer or if some other window is drawn on top of Firefox window's video canvas. The vainfo output seems almost identical to the one shown in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I tried all the steps and forced Youtube to deliver h264 video. Basically the only missing step was, I had not force enabled DMABUF. Now I did that. On Gnome3/Wayland the Firefox process shows 30% load on all cores and around 70% under a single Firefox process in top. The load increases if there's some floating advertisement on top of the video layer or if some other window is drawn on top of Firefox window's video canvas. The vainfo output seems almost identical to the one shown in the article.
                  I'm not totally surprised by that unfortunately - even if the decoding process itself is now done on the GPU (hopefully - you can check with the debug flags mentioned in the article) there are still other bits missing to make Webrender on Linux more power/cpu efficient than the current default software rendering (e.g. partial damage (1)) . That being said, as WR rollout progresses the attention of the graphics team seems to shift from Windows to other platforms now (2). So I'd expect the benefit to slowly materialise over the next month as bugs and performance blockers get found and fixed.

1: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1648799
                  2: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bu...id=1625070#c13

Comment

Today news is that Firefox 80 will have VAAPI support on X11:
                    RESOLVED (stransky) in Core - Audio/Video: Playback. Last updated 2021-11-15.

Comment

AFAIK the main problem is DMABUF.
                      DMABUF concepts were introduced long after VDPAU. And VDPAU worked before invention of dmabuf that just fine. You just present a video surface to a X Drawable, and then use this drawable to composite final image. The same X drawable may be used to derive a GL texture, which more advanced compositors may composite into final image in a more "creative" ways.

More than that, there is a patchset in the Bugzilla which implements VA-API decoding to X Drawables. The same approach can be used for VDPAU too.
                      This is how PepperFlash adapter handled hw decoding, and it worked for both VA-API and VDPAU, so I have my words backed up.

something they tried but disabled as it was found to be bug prone on nvidia (1).
                      This one is shady. They say about sharing GLXPixmap's, which is not permitted actually. It may work, but implementation may keep hidden data associated with a GLXPixmap which is obviously valid only for the process that created the GLXPixmap. One can share X Pixmaps between processes though.

So if they were using APIs incorrectly in Firefox and it worked, and then a newer driver version made it stop working, it's not a driver fault if it's still obeys specifications.

Comment

Working...
                      X