• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    but not ubuntu, apparently
    because they tried their best to make it better, out of the box

everything, having a dock by default, desktop icons and even a theme

perhaps this is why 144hz is a hardcore gnome fanboy, because he perhaps likes the ubuntu version of gnome

Comment

menu makes it harder to find an app you forgot, because menu fits less elements on screen. it's easier to scroll over grid than over menu
      What a terrible lie...

Menu makes easier localizing something because is organized, you'll never search a terminal under the graphic application section...

Comment

but not ubuntu, apparently
        Ubuntu tried to create its own desktop...

Comment

zero. grid is perfectly usable on desktop
          Usable doesn't mean that is better or useful. Grid is a very bad UX implementation everywhere.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          i also require a proper opengl gpu driver. why you don't require a proper opengl gpu driver in 2020?
          That is pretty easy to reply because some distros do not provide proprietary drivers and then you can't use Gnome properly, or perhaps you can't use it all. Then because new hardware might have not available yet the proper driver hence you get the same problem; and thus a DE that doesn't require necessarily a GPU acceleration to be snappy, or simply to work, is better, it means that it is light and fast whether or not you have good card: hence Gnome is a bad DE.

Comment

i'm pretty sure first part is the cause of last part
            Not really. I had used Gnome on several systems:

Personal Desktop - Nvidia dGPU as primary graphics.
            Personal Laptop - Nvidia Optimus with Bumblebee, Intel iGPU as primary, nvidia invoked when more oomph was required(eg a game).
            Work Desktop - Intel iGPU only, no dGPU.

Gnome just wasn't in a good state at the time(this was back in 2016, tried KDE 5.7/5.8 near the end of the year and switched to it full time from 2017 onwards). I'm sure the Gnome experience would probably be better these days and less fragile between version updates hopefully. The amount of issues weren't all Gnome specific, I think some may have been kernel related or in some cases possibly hardware, some were xorg related too I think, some may have been distro related. Others likely software, I am pretty sure on the work machine, Firefox was causing some memory leak locking up the system from hitting OOM.

Plasma wasn't perfect either, it's become much better in time too though. I remember it was definitely worse with nvidia hardware due to graphical corruptions being far more common than Gnome had. When Mutter crashed, it took the whole session down and I'd lose any unsaved work iirc, whereas if kwin crashed(was fairly common on nvidia driver), I could just restart kwin via TTY change, and my session was safe to save and restart (the recovered kwin was degraded in performance iirc).

Comment

• Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Or it can be unlocked on login https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Wallet , though it has some limitations
              What limitations? I unlock it with gpg + smartcard (nitrokey pro 2) on login. It's just annoying, as with most security...
              EOT from me as we are being off-topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by reavertm View Post

What limitations? I unlock it with gpg + smartcard (nitrokey pro 2) on login. It's just annoying, as with most security...
                EOT from me as we are being off-topic.
                From Arch's wiki

Note:
                • kwallet-pam is not compatible with GnuPG keys, the KDE Wallet must use the standard blowfish encryption.
                • The wallet cannot be unlocked when using autologin.
                • The wallet cannot be unlocked when using a fingerprint reader to login
                • The wallet must be named kdewallet (default name). It does not unlock any other wallet(s).
                • If using KDE, one may want to disable Close when last application stops using it in KDE Wallet settings to prevent the wallet from being closed after each usage (WiFi-passphrase unlock, etc.).
                • It may be needed to remove the default created wallet first, thus removing all stored entries.
                • If the kwallet Migration Assistant asks for a password after every login, rename or delete the ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwallet folder.

Comment

• Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  tildearrow I applaud Canonical’s decision to abandon most of their CLAed internal projects. That’s about it. Of course they also proved how easy it is to work with GNOME if you bring the right mindset. There’s a lot of upstream work and some minor differentiation happening downstream.
                  I'm sorry, but I don't really see this ease you're talking about.
                  Canonical stepped in because Gnome had (and still has) serious performance issues, but afaik it's the only area where they were able have an impact.
                  For crucial that it has been, on the UI/UX side they had to make do with what Gnome 3 offers, which is significantly less than Unity and Gnome 2.
                  That's because the so-called-upstream seems quite impenetrable on that front

Comment

• You do realise that the contribution you linked is labeled under Performance, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X