Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

I know you tried to be constructive, but:
    1. How many tablets with preinstalled GNOME are available to justify the grid?
    2. How many tablets were available ten years ago to justify the grid?
    3. How many tablets are available to install a distribution with GNOME considering that even on desktop is hard to get GNOME working because it requires a proper opengl GPU driver.
    4. When did having a menu stop to be useful on a tablet UI? The Kindle Fire UI does have a hierarchy that resembles a menu.

Based on the GNOME3 attitude the grid should be ditched since the moment there aren't enough users or devices that requires it, or at least this has been the justification they have been using when started to remove functionalities from the GNOME 3 Desktop Environment.
    Eh, my laptop has a touch screen which can be folded all the way back, so it kind of is a tablet. I can't stand GNOME's grid design though (among other GNOME things, which is why I don't use GNOME), but I'm just saying that a tablet doesn't have to be a separate device per se.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 30 June 2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      2.1 might be enough
      Yeah, 2.1 in fact is enough, as I can see on from Gnome running on Mali 450 via Lima driver.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        [*]WiFi Password management is in many cases just a fight with kwallet
        When you decide to make wifi connection a "user" connection".
        Make it "system connection" or "available to all users", then Networkmanager Plasma applet will no longer store your Wifi password in kwallet but will use whatever backend is selected in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (plugins= entry). Easy-peasy

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

When you decide to make wifi connection a "user" connection".
          Make it "system connection" or "available to all users", then Networkmanager Plasma applet will no longer store your Wifi password in kwallet but will use whatever backend is selected in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (plugins= entry). Easy-peasy
          Or it can be unlocked on login https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Wallet , though it has some limitations

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            Wayland would also need some fairly major improvements to work without a number of GPU features. However this would also make it more feasible for a number of use cases where it has failed (such as SoC, ARM, Raspberry PI, etc).
            wayland is used in production on arm soc since 2013. and surely it works on raspberry pi

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
              Its amazing that after 10 years Gnome is almost at usable performance. I wonder where Gnome would be now if Canonical switched to KDE or remained using Unity? Gnome would be abandonware without Canonical's DdV's performance improvements.
              i wonder where canonical would be now without ability to reskin gnome

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i wonder where canonical would be now without ability to reskin gnome
                probably on the mir efforts for 5 more years

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  What about allow the user to select between a grid and a normal menu?

This way we target both desktop and tablet users.
                  desktop user has access to keyboard and can just type first letter of application name followed by enter without even invoking grid

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    probably on the mir efforts for 5 more years
                    i don't think mir was using kde

Comment

How many tablets with preinstalled GNOME are available to justify the grid?
                      zero. grid is perfectly usable on desktop
                      it requires a proper opengl GPU driver
                      i also require a proper opengl gpu driver. why you don't require a proper opengl gpu driver in 2020?
                      Last edited by pal666; 01 July 2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X