GNOME Shell's Icon Grid Could See Almost Double The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Animations in GNOME Shell are being handled in C.
    if they can't make their C code fast, i don't even want to see what horrors we get with their JS stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

I know you tried to be constructive, but:[*]How many tablets with preinstalled GNOME are available to justify the grid?
      None, pretty much :< (but at least we're preparing for a possible future)

[*]How many tablets were available ten years ago to justify the grid?
      Lots, if you mean non-GNOME ones.

[*]How many tablets are available to install a distribution with GNOME considering that even on desktop is hard to get GNOME working because it requires a proper opengl GPU driver.
      Aww none :<

[*]When did having a menu stop to be useful on a tablet UI? The Kindle Fire UI does have a hierarchy that resembles a menu.
      I didn't say they are a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Danielsan My hybrid laptop identity as a tablet.
        He said "preinstalled".

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Gnome 3 wont even start on an old computer because of the over reliance on GPU features (i.e needs a relatively recent version of OpenGL support by the GPU)

So the option for old machines is LLVMPipe (entirely software rendered). And that is not fast on old processors (which an old machine likely has).

If you have an old PC (or a server GPU like a matrox); use Gnome 2.

That said, focusing on optimization is a good start. Perhaps if they can aim for something like the ability built into the Windows desktop to turn off GPU reliant features (https://www.windowscentral.com/sites...-windows10.jpg) they would be also slightly further along the way to a desktop that works well in enterprise and remote computing.

Wayland would also need some fairly major improvements to work without a number of GPU features. However this would also make it more feasible for a number of use cases where it has failed (such as SoC, ARM, Raspberry PI, etc).
          While it's true that not requiring OpenGL 3+ for an "ordinary desktop" experience might be completely necessary, for example by disabling enough animations/effects that LLVMPipe can run with acceptable performance, I was thinking more of a 10 year old laptop, which will in fact have OpenGL 3+.
          Gnome 3 only mentions "hardware acceleration", so I'm not certain that actually requires OpenGL 3, 2.0/2.1 might be enough.

OpenGL 3 was released on August 11, 2008, and 2.0 was released on September 7, 2004. If I were to run a desktop on anything older than that, I'd probably use i3, Awesome or Fluxbox.

Comment

The grid is so useless that it would be better removing it completely...
            I kind-of agree here. I never use it, I just press the Super key and type the name of the application. I think Gnome should assess the use for the Grid, re-think it and come up with something more powerful.

Comment

tildearrow There’s nothing to admit. Software Issues are just a fact of life. You don’t get to admit facts, you can either accept them or choose to be an idiot-in-denial.

Of course GNOME’s issues largely remain actionable because they got a reasonable sized team working on it. KDE? Just look at the recent KDEPIM meltdown, that’s a problem that can only be solved with rm. rm code, rm toxic people.
              Yeah, sure.

rm kde, rm *de rm qt, rm world.

no, it's not going to be like that. :l

Comment

tildearrow LoL, the paid openSUSE guys do a much more extensive testing on GNOME. That’s a request from SUSE who ships GNOME in their SUSE desktop version.
                Because nobody else is willing to test such a bad desktop?

Comment

tildearrow There’s nothing to admit. Software Issues are just a fact of life. You don’t get to admit facts, you can either accept them or choose to be an idiot-in-denial.

Of course GNOME’s issues largely remain actionable because they got a reasonable sized team working on it. KDE? Just look at the recent KDEPIM meltdown, that’s a problem that can only be solved with rm. rm code, rm toxic people.
                  An unrelenting troll talking about toxic people...

Comment

tildearrow Don’t be silly. The big distributors all test their Default Desktop. GNOME gets plenty of testing. More would be helpful of course.

You know what is not properly tested? KDEPIM. It’s 2020 and KDE can’t do basic communication or mails in a reliable way. That’s something for you to accept (not admit).
                    AKA trying to hurt and win with truth. Now let me tell you.

You know what is not properly tested? The usability of GNOME.
                    It's 2020 and the entire UI feels wrong and not productive. That's something for you to accept (not admit).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      You know what is not properly tested? The usability of GNOME.
                      It's 2020 and the entire UI feels wrong and not productive. That's something for you to accept (not admit).
                      Thats purely a question of taste, habits and what you are used to.
                      The only correct way to test a UI is to sit someone in front of it who never used a PC before because he is able to create a new opinion.
                      As wrong as KDE's stuck on Windows 7 UI feels, you are likely not able to see anything wrong with it while the world moved on, hell even Windows 10 is so much better UX wise than that Qt hell.

But I get you, fanboy got a strong opinion and that's to defend.

Comment

Working...
                      X