GNOME Shell's Icon Grid Could See Almost Double The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I didn't run cowOS for years (and I'm not going to do so), but windows is a freaking joke when comes to UI design and performance.
    That's just not true. It surely could be better, but at least it gets the basics right.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
      This is just not true, I have been using GNOME 3 on a macbook from 2015 without any real issues.
      Your definition of "old" might be slightly different to mine... XD

2010+ is fairly current.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        "relatively recent" as in "less than 15 years old"

You mean Wayland should work around the fact that the drivers on these devices suck ass? How about fixing the actual issue and writing better drivers (or some at all)?
        Stop making excuses for bad development. All other software manages to work around the "hardships" from dealing with non-consumer platforms. Why can't Gnome? How about I write an actual driver as soon as someone writes a desktop environment which is fit for purpose. Its not like they haven't had 20+ sodding years to get their shite together.

If they won't do it, then they should get out of the way so that a better team can emerge from the community. Heck, if Gnome disappeared tomorrow, I might even give it a shot. I already have some experience from writing OpenCDE. In hindsight I should have continued development on it (even after being contacted by a consortium of companies for help getting CDE ready for an open-source release).
        Last edited by kpedersen; 29 June 2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu with Gnome runs fine here on 2010 Thinkpad x220 with no lag or issues.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Original Mir protocol is a lot faster than Wayland
            Awesome!! Can you please share the benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

slowOS is taking inspiration from "cowOS", ahaha, the little gnomes are funny
              It eats your beloved OS for breakfast in term of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

That's just not true. It surely could be better, but at least it gets the basics right.
                I can't stand its spaghetti design, hyperlink options and inconsistency.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
                  Ubuntu with Gnome runs fine here on 2010 Thinkpad x220 with no lag or issues.
                  Exactly. 2010 is fairly current. Try something a little older and Gnome 3 is the only desktop environment that will fail to work on it.

Gnome 3 has similar requirements to id Software's Doom 3. Find a machine that cannot run Doom 3 and you will find that the current Gnome will also fail, even though it isn't a 3D game but simply a (poorly engineered) desktop environment. Daft XD.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 29 June 2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Exactly. 2010 is fairly current. Try something a little older and Gnome 3 is the only desktop environment that will fail to work on it.
                    It won't fail - it will just use slow software rendering. But right, it's has similar requirements like Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It eats your beloved OS for breakfast in term of performance.
                      linux? sure, Gnome JS shell on other hand... it can't even run basic animations at 60 FPS lol

Comment

Working...
                      X