GNOME Shell's Icon Grid Could See Almost Double The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Gnome 3 wont even start on an old computer because of the over reliance on GPU features (i.e needs a relatively recent version of OpenGL support by the GPU)
    Gnome just needs OpenGL 2.0, if your GPU does not support that, its not old but historic.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Wayland would also need some fairly major improvements to work without a number of GPU features. However this would also make it more feasible for a number of use cases where it has failed (such as SoC, ARM, Raspberry PI, etc).
    Idk what should be the big deal with Wayland, it runs just fine on all my arm devices with those feature lacking unstable open source drivers. Gnome 3.36 Wayland on my Pinebook runs just as advertised, just scrolling in Firefox is a day and night change in smoothness from Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      The grid and calendar views are the remaining areas with issues. Both to be fixed before 3.38
      This is the first time I see you admit that GNOME has issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I didn't run cowOS for years (and I'm not going to do so), but windows is a freaking joke when comes to UI design and performance.
        This time I actually agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
          Aren't you one of the users that bashes KDE news if there's a similar improvement there?
          Plasma 5 is KDEs best self bash. Embarrassing wayland support, major technical issues completely unaddressed till today on its Window Manager. This absolute dependency on a company that has no good interest in the community that made it big.

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
          When does GTK4 become a thing?
          Way before Qt isn't in full control of a greedy company anymore.
          You know, developing actual FLOSS software, software that isnt also sold under a greedy proprietary license is a thing of passion for the community, not a race.
          You can track its development status here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/milestones/1

Comment

This guy is a berserk

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              you know their JS shell is a joke when they can't even have a basic animation running at 60 FPS
              they are multiple decades behind macOS and Windows
              If you read the PR linked, you would notice it has nothing to do with JS

The performance of the icon grid was being hindered by a large number of primitives (a few hundred) being copied from the CPU to the GPU on each...

This is just C code. Javascript is only used as a glue language in GNOME Shell. Perhaps read the references next time?

Comment

Yeah! Go GNOME!

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If you read the PR linked, you would notice it has nothing to do with JS

The performance of the icon grid was being hindered by a large number of primitives (a few hundred) being copied from the CPU to the GPU on each...

This is just C code. Javascript is only used as a glue language in GNOME Shell. Perhaps read the references next time?
                  C or Rust or JS it doesn't matter, the product is the slow JS Shell, linux people are deslusional

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I didn't run cowOS for years (and I'm not going to do so), but windows is a freaking joke when comes to UI design and performance.
                    slowOS is taking inspiration from "cowOS", ahaha, the little gnomes are funny

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post

C or Rust or JS it doesn't matter, the product is the slow JS Shell, linux people are deslusional
                      That doesn't make any sense. How do you attribute performance issues to Javascript Shell when the PR clears shows it to be entirely unrelated?

Comment

Working...
                      X