GNOME Shell's Icon Grid Could See Almost Double The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    240Hz All the big distributors looked at this and came to the conclusion that resources were better spent on GNOME. It’s that simple.
    The only ones "spending resources" on GNOME 3 is Canonical apparently. OpenSUSE is "spending more resources" on KDE than that.

Comment

Originally posted by lb90 View Post

I run GNOME 3 on a 2011 laptop with Sandy Bridge CPU (Intel HD3000)
      Yeah, gnome-shell compositing and / or Wayland support does not require a fancy GPU. It's very basic OpenGL or EGL stuff that should be supported by even old GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        I wouldn't consider it fully "fixed" before it can deliver 60fps animations without frame drops and cursor stutter for 100% of the time. Maybe not in 4k with crappy Intel Gen9 graphics, but 1440p should be possible.
        Exactly!

But we users are to blame for wanting to have our cake and eat it, too. We want snappy desktops, but (some of us) also want wobbly windows and other effects. By the way, we all know that we can disable animations in GNOME, right? A good case can be made, though, that if any animation is <60FPS then it should be considered "experimental" and not turned on by default.

Unfortunately, expectations for desktops in the open source user community have been low, and so we tolerate various issues with "released" desktops. I can't see Apple releasing anything but perfectly and consistently smooth animations. But I guess we're better than Windows 10?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Technically speaking, both are tangential to each other.

But we all know that one is the cause of the other.
          They actually have nothing to do with each other. That doesn't mean it isn't extremely funny.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            GNOME 3.38 is going to be very fast. Who would have thought 10 years ago. They really created something special over time.
            Aren't you one of the users that bashes KDE news if there's a similar improvement there?

GNOME ended up becoming KDE4 bad for some time with it's performance issues and resource usage while Plasma 5 did the opposite. It's good that Gnome's finally addressing that. When does GTK4 become a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              They actually have nothing to do with each other.
              <angry anti-sjw conspirationist noises>

Comment

you know their JS shell is a joke when they can't even have a basic animation running at 60 FPS
                they are multiple decades behind macOS and Windows

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  also Original Mir protocol is a lot faster than Wayland
                  What a bullshit. You have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
                    they are multiple decades behind macOS and Windows
                    I didn't run cowOS for years (and I'm not going to do so), but windows is a freaking joke when comes to UI design and performance.
                    Last edited by Volta; 29 June 2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

144 Hz * 2 ≈ 240 hz hmmm

Comment

Working...
                      X