No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell's Icon Grid Could See Almost Double The Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grid is so useless that it would be better removing it completely...

Comment

I wish more optimization on any graphical shell. No to better hardware without before optimizing, no to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law.
      Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

It's like if GNOME Shell is an AAA title game from 2020...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Gnome 3 wont even start on an old computer because of the over reliance on GPU features (i.e needs a relatively recent version of OpenGL support by the GPU)
          This is just not true, I have been using GNOME 3 on a macbook from 2015 without any real issues.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            GNOME 3.38 is going to be very fast. Who would have thought 10 years ago. They really created something special over time.
            Its amazing that after 10 years Gnome is almost at usable performance. I wonder where Gnome would be now if Canonical switched to KDE or remained using Unity? Gnome would be abandonware without Canonical's DdV's performance improvements.

Comment

Actually it works somehow fine even on NanoPi K1 Plus with Mali 450. Not blazing fast but for some reason few times faster than KDE or even Mate (yes, this is not a joke, and yes, I am serious).

People talk proprietary ARM driver for Mali support Gnome Shell Wayland too (see ODROID-C4 and ODROID-N2 threads on hardkernel forums).

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                Its amazing that after 10 years Gnome is almost at usable performance. I wonder where Gnome would be now if Canonical switched to KDE or remained using Unity? Gnome would be abandonware without Canonical's DdV's performance improvements.
                In my opinion canonical should never abandoned Original Mir, and Unity in first place..
                It was a strategic mistake from Canonical(also Original Mir protocol is a lot faster than Wayland), but now seems done already so..

Comment

Gnome: We don't know how to program a grid of icons
                  also
                  Gnome: We are going to tell the world how to write a CoC

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Gnome 3 wont even start on an old computer because of the over reliance on GPU features (i.e needs a relatively recent version of OpenGL support by the GPU)

I run GNOME 3 on a 2011 laptop with Sandy Bridge CPU (Intel HD3000)

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Gnome: We don't know how to program a grid of icons
                      also
                      Gnome: We are going to tell the world how to write a CoC
                      Technically speaking, both are tangential to each other.

But we all know that one is the cause of the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X